Convert 2x2 Video to SBS 3D Video

Is there a way to convert the Lightfield 2x2 video to SBS stereo 3D video, either within the Lightfield Studio app or through some other app?

Thank you!

I think I’ve actually answered my own question, although it’s not exactly an automatic process. It’s merely using a regular NLE to scale and pick out two of the four frames. Right now, it appears the most effective configuration is frame 2 (upper right) for the left frame and frame 3 (lower left) for the right, setting the multiplier for 6.3. Still have to test a few more configurations, though.

Anyone come up with better settings, let me know.

@DanPersons indeed you can just use the frames from the quad, using frames 1 and 4 will give you the most depth, 2 and 3 the minimum depth.

If you use ffmpeg here is an easy script to do this, hope that helps !

Convert 4V to stereo

Smallest baseline
ffmpeg -i input_2x2.mp4 -filter_complex “[0:v]crop=iw/2:ih/2:iw/2:0[left];[0:v]crop=iw/2:ih/2:0:ih/2[right];[left][right]hstack” output_2x1.mp4

Largest baseline
ffmpeg -i input_2x2.mp4 -filter_complex “[0:v]crop=iw/2:ih/2:0:0[left];[0:v]crop=iw/2:ih/2:iw/2:ih/2[right];[left][right]hstack” output_X_2x1.mp4

2 Likes

Fattal,

Thanks for the ffmpeg scripts, will check them out!

1 Like

Hey @DanPersons, just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the SBS videos you’re converting from the Quad Lightfield video? And what’s the original source of the Quad Lightfield video?

Hi, Nima: Not to be coy about it, but I’m exploring a project specific to the Lume and the SBS video would be an off-branch of that. I don’t want to go into it further on a forum, but if you want to email me directly (I presume you have my address), I’ll explain further.

1 Like