Wish List and quirks review

New to the forum and only had my LP2 for a week. I was an early Red Hydrogen One owner and was bummed when it was discontinued.

This subject is NOT complaining. I understand how challenging it is to bring innovative tech into the market. Having said that here are a few observations and wishes:

Quirks:

1. My LP2 is still having the persistent Leia Link issues despite following all instructions from support. It is clear this is an issue effecting many others as well.
  2. Can’t get facial recognition to work.
  3. Horizontal orientation issues persists on some apps. Facebook refused to orient horizontal. After uninstalling and reinstalling I was finally able to get it to work though not consistently.
  4. Battery drains very very rapidly on this device. Kind of surprised. In about 30 min I lost 25% remaining battery.
  5. SIGNAL app will not work on this device. I wonder what other apps won’t.

I am curious if this is a standard Android build why these won’t be eventually resolved except maybe the battery.

Wishes:

1. In my view, I would use this device daily all day for email and work with the benefit of having the amazing screen resolution and 3d. I think the LP2 should be treated as a device that should and could be used this way. Especially at the price point. I would be more likely to equip staff with these for the 3d experience in video conferencing etc.

2. Why not a phone? It’s the same tech, the same OS. A really big Android phone can also be used as we did the RH1 as an additional monitor or camera on a gimble for better video shoots.

3. Low light performance could be improved especially in 3D modes.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Rob!

Let me try to address a few things you mentioned.

You’re right, we’re sorry about this. This is something my team is currently working on.

This one I’ve seen differently on different devices and different people. It works instantly for me.

If setup doesn’t seem to start properly, update your device completely, reboot it, and try again. When setting up, try to ensure you’re a decent distance away from the device, almost a full arms length, so the camera can see your entire face. I recommend you try to set it up with “Do not recognize face when eyes are closed” OFF, and “Unlock device” set to “Unlock directly”. In addition, if you wear glasses or hats, set it up with the glasses and hats ON. Make sure you’re trying to unlock in a place that’s brightly lit, and ensure “Screen brightness compensation” is set to ON. And finally, of course ensure when you’re attempting to use it, the camera can see your face. It’s also good to also set up Fingerprints, so you have multiple unlock methods to get you into your device securely as fast as possible.

Not all Android apps support Landscape orientation at all. For apps that don’t, I use an app called “Rotation” from Google Play to force them to render in Landscape. For those that do, paradoxically, sometimes you have to ensure Auto-Rotate is “On”.

This is about normal and expected if you’re running 3D content at a high brightness. As most 3D enthusiasts know, almost all types of 3D reduce the brightness of most content so we’re actually multiplying the brightness many times to ensure it looks bright in both 2D and 3D. But this also means that we’re using a lot more power in 3D than is usual in 2D. If you run the device in 2D mode, the battery will last much longer.

Some apps are just arbitrarily blocked on certain devices through Google Play. This doesn’t mean anything, our apps like LeiaLink are also not listed for many Android devices, this is just because we didn’t test them and can only ensure a good experience with the most popular devices. I recommend just finding the APK for Signal online and loading it onto your Lume Pad 2, it should work fine.

I totally agree! In fact, I use my Lume Pad 2 for work all the time! It almost entirely replaces my need for a laptop if I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to it. I have Jira, Confluence, Google Docs, and Gmail all installed, and I also added this Forum to my home screen as a Web App. There are very few things I need a full-fledged PC for compared to what’s possible with Lume Pad 2.

That’s not exactly true. The hardest part of building a phone is actually the technology for cellular connectivity and the regulatory hurdles surrounding that. And you have to work with phone carriers worldwide to distribute the device. And there are a lot of other considerations that people have as requirements for phones, such as a leading 2D camera, wireless charging, waterproof/dust resistance, etc. And selling phones is really, really hard, which is why RED failed at it. The vast majority of consumers already have brand loyalty to big names, and those that don’t care about brands are usually very price sensitive and can only afford something cheap. It’s NOT cheap to make world-leading 3D technology, so it’s not yet viable to sell it for a low-end price. Phones are actually the most complicated consumer electronics product to build.

But I hear you. I’d love to see a Lume Phone one day!

Yeah, we hear you on this. We’re looking into solutions for this.