29.97 Frame rate / Bitrate / Conversion

Hello,

I have a question about frame rate. Would you suggest to work at a constant flat frame rate like 30fps as opposed to 29.97. The only reason I ask is because the conversion software does not have an option for 29.97.

Additionally, in regards to. What is the default bitrate that is being set behind the scenes? It kind of confused me to see a 120mb 4K video as my source be spit out as a 2mb file. In the file details I can see a target bitrate of about 5mb/s. Just wondering what the thinking behind this is and what the limitations are?

Finally, is there a more robust tool that can be used to control this kind of info? I see the output conversion folders that are created (and eventually deleted) while using the conversion tool. Is there any way to “save” these frames before they are deleted so that I can drop them into an edit as an image sequence and edit with the converted 2x2 frames?

I know these are a lot of questions but I am trying to lock down a proper pipeline for our workflow.
Thank you

I think 30 and 29,97 fps are exactly the same. I use different programs, and some says 30 or 60fps, and others say 29,97 and 59,XX. So I guess the exact timing is 29,97 but some programs simply say 30fps to round the number.

I’m not sure about this, but it makes sense to me. If there’s 29,97, 30, 59,XX, 60fps options the world would be more complicated, let’s hope not.

29.97 and 30 fps aren’t the same frame rates even though it might appear as just a rounding thing:

I found this: https://web.archive.org/web/20170629190309/http://www.tvtechnology.com/media-systems/0191/whats-the-difference-between-fps-and-fps/241737

Still not clear on some programs if are really 29,976 or 30, and so on.

But the conclusion is: it doesn’t matter… Unless you’re broadcasting to TVs

1 Like

You could kill the process when all frames are generated, and it starts composing the video

1 Like

29.97 and 30 are definitely different from a technical perspective. Although I do know what you mean in the colloquial sense. They are often thrown around interchangeably when in fact they do mean different things at the end of the day.

But if you take a 29.97 clip and drop it in a 30.0 timeline, there will be discrepancies in terms of frames lining up 1 to 1 in the timeline. You will also eventually get drift with audio.