Effect of viewing angle for stereo images/movies

Hi
I’m trying to use the LumePad for viewing stereo movies and images- in particular I want to optimise separation of left/right-eye view. When I view standard stereo paired images/movies (in “2D” mode) what each eye sees is very dependent on viewing angle - small changes in head position lead to a breakdown of eye separation. Am i doing something wrong or is this how the display works? Is the only way to avoid this to incorporate head position monitoring? (e.g. similar to parallax technologies like Gen 2 Nintendo 3DS which managed this problem very well)
thanks
Steven

Hey @scdakin,

I think you mean “ST” mode rather than “2D” mode (as 2D is fully 2D, it has no 3D effect at all) so I’ll answer with the assumption that that’s what you meant.

Due to the nature of the DLB Lightfield display in Lume Pad, things will work a bit differently than other stereo products.

There are four horizontal views being displayed at any given time, and though they repeat like other autostereo 3D products, because it’s not repeating LRLRLR and is instead repeating 12341234, you must go further when viewing stereo content before you see your next comfortable view. The display is definitely most optimized for 4 view content, not stereo. Though stereo works great, you might find some issues like the one you’re mentioning, where the comfortable viewing angle is smaller than you’d like. The ideal viewing angle for stereo content in ST mode is the center most views of the central view zone, e.g. head on looking at View 2 in your left eye and View 3 in your right eye. If you go too far to the left, both of your eyes will only see the left image in 2D (Views 1 and 2). If you move to the right, both eyes will only see the right image in 2D (Views 3 and 4).

Head-tracking might be able to resolve this in some cases, however on Lume Pad 1 head-tracking functionality is experimental and is primarily designed for use in realtime apps like those made in Unity.

Nima

2 Likes

Thanks Nima, yes ST mode was what i meant and thanks for a very useful summary. Presumably the head tracking solution is simply to shift all the views together to the left or right depending on (calibrated) head position and the display could handle this?

I appreciate most of your users are consumers who care most about the 3D experience (not eye separation) but such functionality would make this a robust glassless stereo display which would be very useful for vision research.
steven

Hey @scdakin,

Head-tracking can definitely be used to move the views, but it’s much easier to do it accurately when expecting 4 views because it gives the system some wiggle room to “catch up” if the user moves their head too fast.

I think the current head-tracking implementation would probably work fine for vision research given that the researcher chooses to build the application in Unity or native Android.

Nima

1 Like