Lumepad 2 crosstalk issues

My lumepad 2 has too much cross talk/ ghosting on hsbs videos and lowering the depth slider does not work at all on hsbs content the image remains the same,it only works when you convert 2d to 3d on youtube videos etc. Some 3d settings in the option menu would be great.What can I do to improve the crosstalk?. I would also like to request for there to be an update that can do 2d to 3d on all sources like 3dtvs and projectors do and an option to switch between the left and right eye for those that need to switch eye perspective in order to view 3d. I also own the first lume pad and was wondering if the lumepad 2 has the option to produce the 3d image like the original lumepad without using the face tracking. I am now using my old lumepad as a 3d fish tank since you dont need the cameras to see the 3d image. My last request would be for you guys to try and get a deal with the group that created the Colors 3d drawing app for the 3ds and have it ported over to the lumepad and lumepad 2 that would be awesome!!

3 Likes

We don’t adjust settings for non-Leia stereo content. Stereo content should be baked into the file with the proper values when possible. Content that is both high disparity and high contrast will exhibit crosstalk on Lume Pad 2.

Lume Pad 2 allows you to do 2D to 3D conversion on local photos and videos using LeiaPlayer and web video streams using LeiaTube.

Unfortunately, the optics stack of Lume Pad 2 is much more complicated than frame-interleaved or column interlaced methods used by legacy devices, so there’s no easy way for us to just turn arbitrary content into 3D. This is why apps need to use the Leia SDK to run in 3D.

The optical system is optimized for one user, and thus doesn’t work the same way as the original Lume Pad. Leia FaceTracking is required for the 3D experience.

I liked that app a lot. Please feel free to reach out to all your favorite 3D developers and tell them that you request a port of their apps to Lume Pad 2.

1 Like

The ghosting is actually not bad for a glasses free device (like compared to the Nintendo 3DS) but it is very sensitive to poorly authored content. You can get a LOT of depth, without the 2 images being all that displaced, but you need full control over the camera perspective (this can work for games, but not for photo/videos which have fixed lenses). This is why 3D films typically have shallow depth compared to games, because it’s difficult to adjust the stereo after you record it (you can do some adjustment with the overlap, but not with the angle). You can notice that the images taken with the Lume Pad 2 look very comfortable and don’t have ghosting, since they are using optimized math and not just taking the left/right images raw. I also found that low resolution content tends to have more ghosting, especially if it is in compressed formats. However, if you are not making the content yourself, then there is not too much you can do to address ghosting.

1 Like

Thank you guys for your response.
@ Nima when the device converts youtube videos to faux 3d you can control the depth of the picture that same depth slider also appears when you display the hsbs i understand you don’t have control over the file format but you do control the displays depth just wondering why it does not work on youtube, i have yet to try it on my own hsbs videos ill look into that later, also the picture that came with the lumepad 2 that is also on the lumepad with the spokes that pop out the screen, on the original lume pad you can see the 3d depth but on the lumepad 2 its a jumbled mess and strain on the eyes, does the lumepad have the option to select your eye dominance between left and right?

1 Like

The depth slider works on YouTube for me. I think most of the apps support it, but maybe not ones that are left/right stereo (the AI conversion is lightfield, that’s why you can move your head and see different angles). You can get around 4 inches of pop out on the Lume Pad 2, with the right content. Just note that if you are having issues, it’s your eyes, not the tablet (you can look into the vergence accommodation conflict if you want to understand the science). I have to use my outdoor/driving glasses when I use the Lume Pad 2, even though it’s only like 12" from my face. I have other glasses I use for my computer and phone. So I’m not sure if you wear glasses (or need to) but you might want to get that checked, cause I can’t really see the 3D with my naked eye or with my computer glasses.