Questions before buying

I don’t have a Lume Pad yet, but I’m thinking about buying one. Perhaps some questions can be answered in advance. I shoot a lot in S3D. I already have a Freevi 3D Commander. But the tablet is because of Android 4 and the Specs hardly usable. Does anyone happen to have both devices? What is the difference in image quality when viewing S3D MPO images? What can I expect in terms of quality from the Lume Pad when I look at 3D photos? What is the sweetspot like? With the 3D Commander you had to be very exactly in the middle and not move your head or the tablet very much. Is that better with the Lume Pad? Can you watch MPOs with the Lume Player in the normal way? Can I watch SBS or HOH Cinema films on the pad?Does the pad work smoothly and quickly when switching photos?Thank you in advance for your answers

I can only say that I watch MPO from Fuji real w3 and they are good. On the specs you can see about viewing angle, and even for this I can say just it is excellent. Very smooth and powerful, I love it. I haven’t seen a movie so far, only some trailer, and they are amazing since they are very natural.

How can the Lume Pad achieve good stereo separation when the space between the rear-facing cameras is so much less than average human inter-pupillary distance?

Would be very pleased to hear a detailed technical answer, as this is a foundational question.

Sorry for posting as a reply.

Thanks!

@apiariste :
With its small lens spacing, the Lume Pad camera can capture depth only in close-up photos. It is a good camera for that purpose, but if you want to capture any binocular depth beyond a couple of meters, you will need a camera with lenses spaced farther apart (or use a mono camera and move it between shots).

To put simply, it’s due to our computer vision algorithms doing Lightfield image synthesis. The disparity between the cameras gives us fantastic data up to about 10 feet away, good data up to 20 feet away, and then anything beyond that is mostly estimated using computer vision.

This is only useful, however, when displaying the content in Lightfield. As others have said, if you export the images and display them in raw stereo SBS (where we do no additional work on the image besides just stereo alignment) you’ll only get good 3D from close up or up to 10 feet away maximum.

2 Likes

David, Nima—

Good information, thank you.

Wish I had enough Physics to rig a mirrored adapter such that data could be collected from greater than average human inter-pupillary distance (AHIPD), to enable “dollhouse images” of real-world scenes, in stereo.

Regards,
Katie

I’m also very interested in purchasing a Lumepad. I’m primarily interested in watching 3D blu-ray (native frame-packing format) movies on it, though I can see there are many other very interesting 3D experiences available via Lumepad.

My main question (which I’ve seen around on this forum) is around resolution. I’ve been spoiled by the experience of viewing 3D using a ‘personal cinema headset’ which provides full 1080p resolution, upscaled to 1440p per eye.

I recognise that there will be a resolution trade-off when it comes to providing a 3D experience without the need for glasses, but I just want to understand what image quality is actually possible?

My initial impression had been that from a 2560x1600 2D screen, a stereoscopic 3D resolution of 1280x800 per eye would be possible, but what I’ve read on this forum seems to suggest that due to the way the screen pixels are arranged using the lightfield screen, any 3D content will actually be presented at 640x400 - is this accurate? I have previously owned a PSVR headset, so I’m familiar with 3D visuals presented on lower resolution displays, and while I appreciate that pixelation is more noticeable on screens being magnified through a headset than on a tablet screen, I can imagine that 640x400 resolution presented on a 10.8" display will still be quite noticeable.

Can anyone confirm the actual resolution 3D movies can be presented at 1280x800? If not, can you confirm whether pixelation is noticeable when viewing 3D movies?

Many thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @Luke_T, your understanding of how the 4x4 Lightfield view structure of current consumer Leia products including Lume Pad is correct.

But of course, as with all 3D, the pixels-per-view don’t tell the whole story of the devices visual fidelity. Compared to viewing 3D movies on PSVR, Lume Pad definitely looks a bit better, but it falls just shy of matching the fidelity of a 1080p 3D TV. I hope that helps you understand what you can expect from Lume Pad.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I wish there was a way of seeing the Lume Pad screen with my own eyes, but your description definitely represents the next best thing.

It certainly sounds like a wonderful achievement. I hope you folks continue to develop your range of products.

@Luke_T You can find Lume Pads in select B8ta stores. If there’s one near you that has Lume Pad on display, I recommend you go take a look!

2 Likes