Digital Cameras and Cell Phones

Hello Everyone. I recently received my Lume Pad and it’s awesome. Is the Red Hydrogen One cell phone the only other device that takes photos and video that takes the full advantage of the 4V lightfield display?

I’m looking for a small portable digital camera and/or cell phone that takes excellent photos and video that I can view on my Lume Pad. I have an old Sony camera that takes 3D photos in MPO format but only jpg files display. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

If this had already been covered in another topic thread that I missed, please let me know.

Thanks

Jim

1 Like

Any 3D camera that shoots SBS (Side-by-side) is displayable on the Lume Pad. I’ve seen users posting photos in LeiaPix shot using the Fujifilm FinePix W3. You can find one on eBay for around $350 USD. Lenovo used to make the Mirage which captured SBS photos. There are other off-brand cameras that you might be able to find on Amazon or eBay. Also, the LeiaPlayer can convert 2D photos to 4V. In some cases, this works quite well.

1 Like

I want to recommend the Fuj W3 as I have one myself, but I just discovered before my current trip that the camera seems to have developed three hot pixels (maybe 4). I see reports of the cameras in the W3 not standing the test of time.

It’s a shame that there are no new consumer-level (flat) 3D cameras these days. I did see that there is a thing called StereoPi for DIYers. They’re just now releasing V2, but I don’t know how well I could get it to work.

3 Likes

Hi Jim and welcome to the program !

A Red Hydrogen would be the most straightforward (and lets you post to LeiaPix) but if you want a larger baseline i think the Fuji W3 is your best option currently. Lume Pad supports MPO files natively.

Hope this helps !

4 Likes

As @dfattal already pointed out, the Hydrogen one is the most seamless Experience, which also has a great Video Mode, the Fuji W Series ist for wider Baseline but If I remember correctly the Video ist Not that great.

If You want to Look at Your MPOs of Your Current Camera and the LumePad can’t read it, You can convert them with Stereophoto Maker to a LumePad compatible Format, make Sure to Install the Latest Version though for the easy Usage, and read the Changelog or watch the Videos on how to operate Stereophoto Maker (YouTube), it can be overwhelming for new Users because of the extensive Capabilities.
Also there are Versions for both, Windows and Mac.

For my Pictures I also use Imagen3d for 3d Image Organisation, as well as Color Editor, Aligning Tool and such, which ist Freeware by a spanish hobbyist, it is multi Language but only available for Windows If You are interested in this do a search “Imagen3d” +Janubio on Google.

As Long as there is no better Solution I use my old trusty LG Cinema 3D Displays with edid Override in my Nvidia Graphics Card under Windows for Picture Editing.
Still hoping for a Leia Display Option :smiley:!

I hope that helps,
And most Importantly, have Fun with Your LumePad!

It is the best Tablet to Date, at least for me.

3 Likes

Thank you for that pointer. I found the imagen3d site and I’m looking forward to giving it a try!

I assume the 3D display is probably not Mac compatible. (I’ll be Googling shortly, just in case. :grinning:)

1 Like

I don’t really Know If it’s Mac compatible, I never had one personally, I just had a really bad experience with trying to get the Contacts off of an Iphone to an Android Phone Years ago. This literally Took Hours to get it working without a full Outlook License and I am not a Tech Noob, this was apart from the Lack of availability of some Programs I use regularly the Nail in the coffin for Apple to me. But since These Displays are not made anymore I would do a search If it’s possible to use it on MAC before buying one.
The Model I use has HDMI and DVI in, no Display Port or USB C.
There are also Displays around from Zalman and Acer I believe that also use the same line Interlaced Display Method.

After reading your post, I did some digging. To confirm, is the monitor you’re talking about an older model? Was it from when Playstation was offering a 3D gaming monitor, too?

That 3D tech is having a drought right now; it seems that the choices are either old (Nintendo 3DS, software like Stereo{Photo,Movie} Maker) or nascent (Lume Pad, StereoPi). Imagine if I could reasonably replace my 43" TV with strong, glasses-free 3D performance. We may very well get there, but our infrastructure of existing, current tech is still pre-nascent.

1 Like

The Problem with all of this was not really a Problem of Innovation, but more a thing of bad PR and financing. A Company called Stream TV Networks Had a pretty convincing big 3D Display about 10 Years ago, they promised to get to The consumer Market but then ended Up selling their IP to another Company. This Happens all the Time, See Lytro and Pelikan Imaging for example. The Company that aquired the IP have their Website Here Technology - Seecubic but I doubt that they will come up with Something at Consumer level. Most likely it will be just Advertising, just as all newer Systems in the last few Years.

Yes these Monitors are old, but sadly there are Not many alternatives If You don’t want to rely on Shutter Glasses Implementation of X Software. Side by Side or Line interlaced ist pretty easy to implement without Special driver support in pretty mouch everything. And since Nvidia and all the big Players dropped their Support for 3D Content, there aren’t many Options on Windows and MAC at the Moment.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the information and help !!!
I appreciate ! I’m going to start having fun and experimenting with my Lume Pad this weekend.

2 Likes

Liked the post for the quality of the answer, not the underlying reality.

1 Like

Chiming in that I’ve used & enjoyed my StereoPi v1. My
StereoPi v2 & HQ camera mount should ship any day now. I’ll post a report once it’s in my hands.

2 Likes

I was about to order a v2, but I think I need a more finished solution. It came to me that it isn’t set up for battery operation, and then I realized that it’s a far lower level of a device than I’m looking for.

Hacking command-line options in ffmpeg to fine-tune video is one thing, but I’d much prefer a device that’s already equipped with things like optical image stabilization, inter-image alignment, etc. Unfortunately, such a device doesn’t exist, and I’m not sure how much I’m willing to hack together my own.

1 Like

Also recently picked up sony 3d tv for playstation . Works well for displaying 3d. Got one used cheap. U can use Chromecast to send images or video to monitor.

1 Like