A Lot More Than Just Parallax

Marcel Duchamp, the French artist of the last century, had a concept which he called Inframince. Even naming it was questionable but unavoidable. It referred to the thinness, the space between close things… He suggested that space is where art resides - not in the object but in what is not seen. Now, using the technique of stereo, so that the left eye sees one thing and the right the other, a situation can be created where the viewer experiences the art by adding both views together. (Art is rather like the ping-pong ball that sits atop the jet of water, never static.) II’s something that could only happen now, with glasses-free Lume Pad 2. Treating each eye as a separate source of information opens up a new field for visual artists, increasing the density of information.

1 Like

Interesting thoughts, would like to know more. And I definitely agree we are just scratching the surface what this device is capable of when we - for the most part - just watching 3d photos of flowers and bees.

Wheatstone’s presentation of 3D was made with drawings. Photography happened a few years later and, unfortunately in some ways, made instantaneous stereo pairs possible. The vast space that exists between the two views wasn’t explored as it might have been if 3D was drawn. The desire to look at static images was dominant. Even though reality is movement and static images are a lie. The Lume Pad invites exploration.

This reminds me of an old movie using 3d technology and I guess they made two different scenes and you could choose which eye to look through for a choose your own adventure type movie

That was one eye or the other. This is both.