Ext SD Cards

When formatting a MicroSD card internally in the Settings app using a fully updated Lume Pad 2, it formats the card as ExFAT, which is the file format we recommend.

Again, this is a part of stock Android. We have done absolutely nothing to this part of the AndroidOS, it’s exactly how it comes from Google.

It has worked with a MicroSD card since launch day. Myself and most of our users use an internal MicroSD card with their Lume Pad 2’s and have zero issues with it.

Here is a picture of the MicroSD card working without issue in my Lume Pad 2:

I have answered the same question multiple times in different ways. If you do not choose to accept it, it’s entirely on you at this point.

MicroSD cards are fully supported, as they are in all other Android devices, as we use the version of Android 12 made by Google with very little modification. We use MicroSD cards without issue. They work with all files, but they do not work for running apps.

“Merging” or “adopting” or “fusing” the MicroSD card to make it look like the device’s internal storage is not supported as that’s not a basic feature of Android, it is a custom feature that was built custom by a variety of other manufacturers and developers. We will also not be spending any time building this feature. You can try whatever you’d like to bring this feature to the device yourself if you’d like.

1 Like

The picture you sent is kind of odd… maybe your SD card has nothing on it. But, I have use of the SD card in the same way you seem to. It is kind of large, non-interactive storage bin except for some very basic media applications. Like my phone (a 1tb SD card) which uses android 11, the SD card slot needs to do more.

It needs to be able to be accessible actively and passively by any app to which you give permission. THIS IS PARTICULARLY TRUE WITH YOUR NEW TABLET! This tablet is a miracle… literally one of the best devices I’ve seen in over a decade. iOS is useless and android tablets (even those that do not block the use of the SD card!), are clunky and awkward… I bought and gave away 2 Samsung tablets over the past 6 months. I was just going to get a Kindle and be happy to read something!

The Lume Pad2 caught me off guard, in a good way. I can actually do intense legal stuff when necessary on this. Therefore, I will get it to work the way I, and GitHub and XD developers, think it can! It is worth the investment of time!

From “Nima Z. via The 3D•AI Forum” <notifications@leialoft.discoursemail.com>
To ebreynoldsjr@email.com
Date 9/19/2023 4:25:36 PM
Subject [The 3D•AI Forum] [Lume Pad] Ext SD Cards

| Nima Nima Z. Leia Inc.
September 19 |

• | - |

EBRJR57:

can reformat the SD card but there are no choices presented as to HOW or in WHAT SYSTEM the card will be reformatted.

When formatting a MicroSD card internally in the Settings app using a fully updated Lume Pad 2, it formats the card as ExFAT, which is the file format we recommend.

Again, this is a part of stock Android. We have done absolutely nothing to this part of the AndroidOS, it’s exactly how it comes from Google.

EBRJR57:

find a way to make it work with the SD card like every other Android device ever created.

It has worked with a MicroSD card since launch day. Myself and most of our users use an internal MicroSD card with their Lume Pad 2’s and have zero issues with it.

Here is a picture of the MicroSD card working without issue in my Lume Pad 2:t

it i

EBRJR57:

I don’t mean to be abrupt. But, in my profession, when a question is methodically not addressed despite every Socratic to elicit an answer, there is often a reason.

I have answered the same question multiple times in different ways. If you do not choose to accept it, it’s entirely on you at this point.

MicroSD cards are fully supported, as they are in all other Android devices, as we use the version of Android 12 made by Google with very little modification. We use MicroSD cards without issue. They work with all files, but they do not work for running apps.

“Merging” or “adopting” or “fusing” the MicroSD card to make it look like the device’s internal storage is not supported as that’s not a basic feature of Android, it is a custom feature that was built custom by a variety of other manufacturers and developers. We will also not be spending any time building this feature. You can try whatever you’d like to bring this feature to the device yourself if you’d like.

It clearly says in the picture that there’s 37.32GB of data on the 1TB MicroSD card.

It’s accessible by any app that is designed to access external storage. Many apps are and I use my MicroSD card with them. If the app is not designed to access external storage, it will not work.

We don’t block the use of the MicroSD card slot. In fact we’ve done nothing at all regarding the MicroSD card implementation on Lume Pad 2. This is exactly how the Android operating system works by default.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

On a different topic altogether, I am going to unlock the bootloader. I have had the Developer Options open since I bought the device and turned the switch on. But, I never bothered to actually unlock it until I was ready. The normal Fastboot commands do not work (“Fastboot OEM unlock” or “Fastboot flashing unlock”) but that is not surprising since it seems that this problem is endemic to all phones and tablets now.

Can you tell me the exact procedure I need to follow now that I have already turned on the OEM Unlock switch under Developer Options?

Thanks

ed

Like any device you need a use case to find value. For me it is using my iPad for playing midi sounds and reading sheet music. Also I can use all my apps from my iPhone.

Hello. Can I get an answer to this please?

ed

This is not good practice - please send me whatever I need (code or the procedure) to complete the second half of the bootloader unlocking process.

Silence is not golden… we are all busy people!

Hey Edward,

We won’t provide support for unlocking the bootloader of the device.

Thank you.

That is not acceptable nor, from what I read, legal. And it certainly is not legal in this jurisdiction.

Unfortunately, I don’t have time to try to understand your reasoning (particularly since the form of Android you are using is close to standard and is open source in any event) - I am too busy and, given your inability to solve the other issue about the Ext SD card (other users just gave up), I am out of patience and fed up with this needless games playing.

Enough is enough.

So, I will deal with it here, locally.

Just for posterity, there is zero legal requirement for an Android manufacturer in the United States of America to provide support in unlocking their device’s bootloader.

And since we don’t sell Lume Pad 2 in any country besides the United States, we’re of course not bound by any laws of countries where we do not sell the device.

If you bought a ZTE Nubia Pad 3D locally, you can reach out to ZTE locally to see what they can do about your request, locally.

I am in the USVI

I just used a 32 g SanDisk usb c and A thumb drive (FATformat) to quickly transfer 27 g of video I shot last night. I shot the video with two different iPhones so it took some major time to get it on the drive. I will use the pad to show the video to the band and export it to their thumb drives. World of difference between iPhone 6 and 15 pro max for video and audio. Displayed nicely on LP2 in 2d. One phone shot spatial so I will convert to 3d latter.