Ext SD Cards

Like everyone here, I agree that this is the best tablet (and one of the best devices I have used) to date. I never used an iphone and gave up on the ipad once I realized that it had become a glorified Kindle! It is amazing in all ways. I don’t even want to root it because I want to see where the developers take it!
I have only one question which is similar to other questions about the Ext SD card. Mine is maybe more direct: I am using a good quality 1TB SanDisk. Is there any way that I can “adopt” the Ext SD card in toto such that the system sees it as part of the memory and it does not become a app-dependent situation each time?
ed

1 Like

No. Though a few manufacturers have added this feature before, it’s not a function of the base Android operating system. The LumeUI on Lume Pad 2 is very similar to stock Android and thus what you’re describing isn’t possible.

do appreciate the quick response albeit it was not the one I was hoping to hear! I do understand that Android as an operating system has, even as they grrw in size over the years. While android has long surpassed ios in UI, the phones and the flexibility and integration with the MS world, initially having the ability to enhance the useful memory was a plus. So, the original android contemplated an integrated SD card. Around marshmallow, I was decided to “fix” thus non problem simply because it is believed Americans were too stupid to lrave and cards in place if they were going to use them as integral parts of the the srstem. They were probably right but it really turned the thing left… Especially when new very high density sd cards were coming on line.

Thr lumy presents an odd conundrum. It is the first tab that can actually handle more sophisticated work related apps as well as the entertainment apps.

But, possibly because LUME SEES ANDROID in some type of “originalist” pure state where sd cards were as an aberration, it is unusually hard to make use of the god given space whether writing, music etc. My amazing word processing, etc, can only park a file on the SD card. Sometimes it works and one can access a file directly from the SD card. It is not stable. Moreover, the test I got this cannot gain ptopee access.

Some apps actually query the system as they are being installed… Thry ask for permission to to use the SD card as a full functional part of the particular app. This happens very seldom with the Lume. If Lume would allow each app (and its owner) to make that choice, we could live with thst. I have managed to get a few apps to recognize and use the SD card, but this new app for writing (my first time actually using a tablet of any kind for real work). And last thing I expected was a temperamental SD card.

This is a beautiful device. I don’t want to have to root it to get something so basic from it,

I am fairly competent with adb and some Linux. Maybe you could walk me through the process in order to restore that which android has always had in abundance!

I would if I could. I don’t think what you’re asking for is possible. If it is and you find out how, please let me know.

Because I have a new position beginning in a few weeks, I decided to get the Lume organized and connected to my personal servers (I try to avoid clouds). All is good except I have burned through 3 reputable document processing apps because they simply cannot “see” the EXT sc card or, if they can, they are not able to use it. There is little or no interaction between the Lume’s system and the EXT SD card. The EXT SD card has been reduced to a storage bin for misc files. This is not what was intended nor does this complete disconnect happen in any other high end android device except, I am now told, with Hawwai [sp]. My 2 year old galaxy note also has an Ext SD card of 1TB and, while it took some understanding, the two function as one device.

A developer of a utility that analyzes both the internal and Ext SD cards understands this problem… the Hwawei and the Lume lack some functionality that most other Android devices have. I did not delve into this because it’s never been a problem to this extent and by rooting, any residual issues were easily overcome. Developers of other
apps I buying are informing me the Lume should be offering such apps the right for me to grant permission to use the EXT SD card, which I routinely do.

However, the Lume is not doing that.

I confess that I am a lawyer. So, I did not make up the concept of “adoption” as a term of art invented to remedy what we all know is a problem that evolved in how Android started (mis) handling these types of Ext SD cards about 7 years ago. What sort of worries me is that you seem absolutely surprised by what little I have relayed to you! Again, I didn’t make this up and to the extent it was a problem in any of the 25 or so devices I have owned, I was able to solve it with a lot of reading and many patient developers!

On the other hand, it could be that I (and apparently many others) are not articulating the problem very well. But if getting an Ext SD card to actually work with the Lume OS is indeed an impossible dream to you, it would be tantamount to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory… offering what is possibly the best tablet ever with a useless appendage to carry files!

Anyway, whether you have future plans for a upgrade to remedy this problem is relevant, but not decisive. I have already enlisted some help to make it functional with the EXT SD card… I don’t have the time to spend as “developer” any more and the tablet has too much promise to simply give up!

Because I have a new position beginning in a few weeks, I decided to get the Lume organized and connected to my personal servers (I try to avoid clouds). All is good except I have burned through 3 reputable document processing apps because they simply cannot “see” the EXT sc card or, if they can, they are not able to use it. There is little or no interaction between the Lume’s system and the EXT SD card. The EXT SD card has been reduced to a storage bin for misc files. This is not what was intended nor does this complete disconnect happen in any other high end android device except, I am now told, with Hawwai [sp]. My 2 year old galaxy note also has an Ext SD card of 1TB and, while it took some understanding, the two function as one device.

A developer of a utility that analyzes both the internal and Ext SD cards understands this problem… the Hwawei and the Lume lack some functionality that most other Android devices have. I did not delve into this because it’s never been a problem to this extent and by rooting, any residual issues were easily overcome. Developers of other
apps I buying are informing me the Lume should be offering such apps the right for me to grant permission to use the EXT SD card, which I routinely do.

However, the Lume is not doing that.

I confess that I am a lawyer. So, I did not make up the concept of “adoption” as a term of art invented to remedy what we all know is a problem that evolved in how Android started (mis) handling these types of Ext SD cards about 7 years ago. What sort of worries me is that you seem absolutely surprised by what little I have relayed to you! Again, I didn’t make this up and to the extent it was a problem in any of the 25 or so devices I have owned, I was able to solve it with a lot of reading and many patient developers!

On the other hand, it could be that I (and apparently many others) are not articulating the problem very well. But if getting an Ext SD card to actually work with the Lume OS is indeed an impossible dream to you, it would be tantamount to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory… offering what is possibly the best tablet ever with a useless appendage to carry files!

Anyway, whether you have future plans for a upgrade to remedy this problem is relevant, but not decisive. I have already enlisted some help to make it functional with the EXT SD card… I don’t have the time to spend as “developer” any more and the tablet has too much promise to simply give up!

From “Nima Z. via The 3D•AI Forum” <notifications@leialoft.discoursemail.com>
To ebreynoldsjr@email.com
Date 9/10/2023 3:45:27 AM
Subject [The 3D•AI Forum] [Lume Pad] Ext SD Cards

| Nima Nima Z. Leia Inc.
September 10 |

• | - |

EBRJR57:

I am fairly competent with adb and some Linux. Maybe you could walk me through the process in order to restore that which android has always had in abundance!

I would if I could. I don’t think what you’re asking for is possible. If it is and you find out how, please let me know.

Well, the good news is this has nothing to do with limitations of the Android OS. Android has APIs that will allow any app to look for and use external storage. You can find an app that does this or reach out to the developer to add this functionality.

But even if you don’t do that, this seems like a very simple fix. Just open either the “Files” app or the “File Manager” app on Lume Pad 2 and just manually move the files from the MicroSD card or USB-C storage to the device’s internal storage. Then all those apps that haven’t added external storage functionality will be able to access it.

This is not an accurate assessment. Many Android devices launched these days don’t even have a MicroSD card slot, and of those that do, almost none of them allow for using the MicroSD card as an extension of the internal storage of the device, as that’s not part of the Android OS. Manufacturers like Samsung who support that have built the support for it themselves from the ground up.

No, if the app has support to read a MicroSD card then it will be able to access the MicroSD card. Many apps I’ve downloaded like Nova Player for example access the MicroSD card on Lume Pad 2 without issue.

It doesn’t surprise me at all, it’s just not relevant to the Lume Pad 2. Other manufacturers that are 100x or more the size of Leia can of course build custom software solutions that have the feature you want.

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear how it goes.

Well, you are right. I could move files back and forth… When I am working on them, I bring them to the tool room. After that, back they go in storage. Since I was 17, I kept most recording I bought throughout the decades. It was a long process but it was interesting to the tagging metals Guage. The entire 40 years collection is kept on a server in the house - - static ip address makes the clouds go away. I have doubt whether the collection would play from the card because the card cannot assist in the processing of data. L
You are right, some new android phones are not offering the ability to add an Ext SD card. 2 days ago, I was about to by the new z1Razr. No expandable memory… NO Razr. THE phone is cool.BUY,without the memory,

I have just started to play around with the 3d stuff. I lot 7 future potential holding off on root.

You when you say it surprise you and others will build the custom software with features that I want is that these features have never left Android… They are garden variety. More importantly, you may have built the first functional tablet ever, everyone says “apple for play, Android for pay!” you have managed to come closer to that reality then anyone. Unfix the disconnect between the device and its memory!

The file app cannot access the EXT SD card… I am looking for one that can

The built-in “File Manager” app can. Just ensure your MicroSD card is formatted properly. I recommend the ExFAT file system.

OK. I will try restoring the stock file app and see what happens

From “Nima Z. via The 3D•AI Forum” <notifications@leialoft.discoursemail.com>
To ebreynoldsjr@email.com
Date 9/12/2023 2:03:55 AM
Subject [The 3D•AI Forum] [Lume Pad] Ext SD Cards

| Nima Nima Z. Leia Inc.
September 12 |

• | - |

EBRJR57:

The file app cannot access the EXT SD card… I am looking for one that can

The built-in “File Manager” app can. Just ensure your MicroSD card is formatted properly. I recommend the ExFAT file system.

Must be the “File Manager” app, not the “Files” app, they are different.

I don’t yet own a Lume Pad 2, but what I want to know is this: If I have SBS 3D MP4 video files stored on a SD card in the Lume Pad 2’s SD card port, can they be played as 3D video directly on the Lume Pad 2 WITHOUT having to transfer them to the Lume Pad 2’s internal memory?

Yes, 3D movies can be played from the MicroSD card.

1 Like

Hi Nima,
Thank you for this information, I much appreciate your reply. Can you also tell me whether the Lume Pad 2 can natively receive and play SBS 3D MP4 video files streamed from a desktop computer without adding any software/apps?
Thank you so much,
Rhonda Dinwiddie

No, it requires additional apps to do this.

There are no choices in the tablet or the app as to which system to format. I might have to remove the SD card and format it in the pc. In the tablet or any available app, is there any way that I can use the “Format as internal” option that I seen before?

No, this isn’t a feature of Android. Other manufacturers have made custom solutions to do this, and a feature like this isn’t available on Lume Pad 2.

OK, guys, so far, I have suggested 3 or 4 methods used commonly by Android (yes, Android) to solve, if not eliminate, the issues of SD cards. Indeed, these methods are so prevalent that I have not encountered this issue for some time.
At each juncture, your response has been either you had never heard of the the concept or the concept is “not part of Android.” It’s wearing thin now! You are shooting down tried and true possibilities and have not yet offered one that works. No, the file manager is useless. The tablet itself apparently can reformat the SD card but there are no choices presented as to HOW or in WHAT SYSTEM the card will be reformatted. It is as if we are referring to different devices and, in the case of reformatting, I have to assume that you want us to remove the SD card and reformat it outside the device - because there is no other way!
All the relevant apps that are able to manage this issue, including AppMgr III, are telling me (in different ways) that something is wrong - things I should able to routinely do, I can’t. So far, AppMgr III seems to have a better grasp of the problem than most and the solutions involve certain adjustments using ADB, etc, according to XDA and GitHub. However, they do speak of the “adoption” concept (my first suggestion) which I would prefer not to do. They do warn, however, that if none of these common methods to achieve a common end works, it will be an indication that the device has been absolutely designed to prohibit using the SD card!
If that is the case, just let us know. The loyal owners of the Lume Pad2 (of which I am one) will find a way to make it work with the SD card like every other Android device ever created.
It will save us time and maybe it can still be done without rooting. I don’t mean to be abrupt. But, in my profession, when a question is methodically not addressed despite every Socratic to elicit an answer, there is often a reason.
If it can be done, please tell us exactly how. If not, please just say it!