LeiaPlayer doesn't play sbs video correctly

As i watch videos on my phone also,
I have sbs video’s on it.
Leia player doesn’t show video correctly,
As in red player it needed to be 2x1.mp4 at the 3’d of the name.
Now Leia Players pinches my video horizontal,
When I rename it 2x2 in the back of name, video gets fucked up, not even possible to view it as it looks like 2 videos running over each other.

Screenshot_20201218-150717

Screenshots only show the pinched version, when taking screenshot of the video over video it gives a quad view,bit doesn’t show what I mean, and last screenshot is in 2d from Red Player, video plays normal.

Can this be fixed? Or is there a solution for?

Found the problem :

Reverted back to 2.13 version from 2.14
And sbs video is back to normal.
So version 2.14 breaks sbs video playing on rh1 and Lumepad.

@john.friday

1 Like

And here photo back on 2.13 version where it is back to normal

1 Like

Hi @Chillerfpv,

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that your SBS video is not showing properly due to a recent change we made to differentiate half and full width 2x1 files. Player now assumes that full 2x1 as the default type of file and half 2x1 requires “_half_2x1” at the end of the filename to display properly. For example:

“filename_half_2x1.mp4”

4 Likes

Recent change?
2.13 and before it worked just fine.
2.14 videos are fucked up.
That’s meaning something is different in last update from today, not recently.

And to keep simple SBS video’s working, what else do we need to add in name of video?
Or is Leia going to remove SBS support in some time also ? Then i whant my money back of Lumepad and i send it back. Most 3d format is still SBS in this world !!!

And what is the purpose of half and full width ?
Every film i watch or have is full screen, not half screen, not squished that is not watchable.
So what bullshit is this about?

Hey @Chillerfpv,

When it comes to Lightfield video, we have broadly have two supported formats right now: SBS and Quad.

Quad really only comes in one format (because we are the only ones using it), and that’s a full width 2x2.

As I’m sure you may have seen, there are a variety of other stereoscopic 3D formats. SBS is just one of them. There are also two other popular methods of encoding 3D information on legacy devices like 3D TVs, and those include options like TB (Top-Bottom) and Frame-packed.

SBS is of course the most popular. There are two major kinds of SBS: Full-width and Half-width. Of course, Half-width was designed for particular 3D TVs in which using Full-width would actually REDUCE your usable resolution, and Half-width was the best method to get the most out of the pixels on your display.

Full-width is of course by far the most popular method. In the past, RED Player and LeiaPlayer would guess whether the content was Full-width or Half-width based on it’s resolution. This would sometimes cause problems for some Full-width content that’s accidentally thought to be Half-width (like some Portrait orientation content) and vice versa.

The new version of LeiaPlayer corrects this, and instead all content is assumed to be Full-width, and in the rare cases it’s not, the user has to change the naming scheme to add “half” to the filename as in “filename_half_2x1.mp4”. Our data shows that a tiny fraction of our users are using Half-width content.

The new version of LeiaPlayer has the same compatibility as the last version, with a slight change to make life easier for users the majority of the time.

There are two simple solutions for you:

1. Add “half” to the filename of the Half-width content you’re having issues with.
  2. Use the older version of the app that seems to work for you.

Please reach out to help@leiainc.com if you have any other questions.

5 Likes

When comes the ability back to edit sbs (h4v pro) in Leia player???

When comes the ability back to edit sbs (h4v pro) in Leia player???

You can currently edit SBS in LeiaPlayer. It only saves in Leia Image Format, however.

The ability to export as SBS within LeiaPlayer is a @john.friday question, but we’re looking at adding advanced image editing features to Lightfield Studio on Mac and Windows computers sometime next year.

1 Like

Red player always did that, why removing it in the first place ?

That’s just the thing i whant back, and most of the people i think also, as SBS is a standard in the world, Leia image format does not.

1 Like

so _fullWidth_2x1 is not needed anymore? (only _2x1)
I think is faster to write _half_2x1 than _fullWidth_2x1, but why not _h2x1 for half and _2x1 for full? It will be faster to change filename of a file, and faster to see on a file list on the computer which is half and which is full.

I’m having the same problem as this guy.

It looks like the Leiaplayer only supports mp4 and won’t play mkv? That’s frustrating because it means I have to convert some of my 3D videos to make them work.

What would be the exact settings to export a SBS 3D video ready to watch on the Red Hydrogen One with its 3D screen?

I got some of my HSBS 3D mp4 videos to play in 3D by adding “_half_2x1.mp4” on the end of the filename.

But still no luck on the mkv videos I’ve got, so I still want to know: assuming that I am using ffmpeg: What would be the ideal ffmpeg export settings to play a 1080p 3D HSBS video in Leiaplayer on the Red Hydrogen One?

@BenMcLean Hey Ben,

I wouldn’t worry too much about “ideal” as long as it’s a compatible filetype, MP4 is a perfectly fine choice. Obviously try to reduce compression and keep the bitrate as high as you can, though obviously some absurdly high bitrates may have issues being decoded. I’ve personally never had any issues when converting SBS movies to MP4 using handbrake, they all came out great when viewing on Hydrogen or Lume Pad.

That said, we’ve heard the feedback of users requesting support for more filetypes. More news will be available in the coming months.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that there is still active development going on for LeiaPlayer. I’m guessing (since the Red Hydrogen One was discontinued AFAIK) that this continued development is really for the Luma Pad but that the Red Hydrogen One can continue to benefit since it uses the same app?

@BenMcLean There are no more guaranteed updates for any software on RED Hydrogen One.

There may or may not be an additional update or two for particular apps, but in practice, all software support has shifted to Lume Pad, and users should expect no more updates for apps on Hydrogen.

OK. I hope you’ll consider releasing a copy of the firmware and the last versions of the apps so that owners can repair their own devices after end of official support.

That’s meaning Future wise Lumepad Will be the only device with his Leia format pictures and video format ?
That’s meaning with that direction Lumepad will be the only device out there that uses Lightfield for consumers,
It is time to leave this dead end alone and move on.
There are still more hydrogen users then Lumepad users, and the one that have a Lumepad have for shure one or more hydrogen in the house.

Time to go to a good brand smartphone like Asus rog 3 phone and a tablet laptop that doesn’t drop customers like a brick.

Hey @BenMcLean,

We’ve done this in the past with offering old versions of LeiaPlayer for a small vocal minority of our users who complained, but we can’t guarantee being able to do this in the future. Unfortunately, we’re not RED, and we’re not legally authorized to provide the firmware or any app that’s owned or controlled by RED, like the Camera app.

We’ve been providing support for Hydrogen for over two and a half years since the original Houdini models launched in Summer of 2018. Ultimately, we can’t provide support for another company’s product. That said, Lume Pad is Leia’s product, so you can expect years of support from us going forward.

Nope! More LitByLeia devices will be coming, even including cars in the coming years.

I can’t give any specifics, but you’re definitely not correct about this. Many of our Lume Pad users are totally new to the Leia ecosystem.

I’m sad to hear that, we’ll miss you!

Nima

2 Likes

Oh, I thought Leia was owned by RED. Sorry for the mistake.

I need to find out how to contact RED about this then. :slight_smile: