SBS vs 4V

I think that what I am asking about is covered in previous discussions, most likely in the 198 posts “LumePad Display quality” topic, and others. But, I’ll break out just a specific question.

At first I thought that 4V was needed in order to do landscape and portrait lenticular stereoscopic, but studying videos I’ve made I can see that the four consecutive frames in a 4V video are detectable as you turn the Lume Pad.

So, is 4V video effectively 640x360 resolution? If you do SBS, can you get 1280x720, at the expense of better parallax?

Hi Colin

the display in Lightfield mode actually outputs an array of 4x4 views, always. This is how we achieve for example the full parallax “immersive” background. Depending on the app, the orientation of the pad and the 3D rendering mode (ST or 4V) we bundle up the 16 views differently to provide e.g. 1|2|3|4 or L|L|R|R

8 Likes

As I mentioned, as I move left and right I can see the four different images. Does that then mean that the effective horizontal resolution of the screen is 640? If it ran with two images, would you then get 1280 across, but less immersive parallax?

My understanding: If you provide two images, it will anyway provide 4 views with resolution 640, 2 of which interpolated. If you provide 4 images, you will see the 4 images you have inserted. Theoretically you could add two couples, each pair identical, to force the system to provide 2 views, but for each pair you would see the same pixels, so I guess this won’t increase the actual resolution.

Good point. I think that the remaining resolution is still useful and effective, but at some point I’m going to show the display to colleagues, and wanted to be sure what to say when I’m asked what the resolution is. To claim 2560x1440 would have been misleading.

Definitely, since Lume Pad is 2560x1600 resolution :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve heard that 16:10 is the new 16:9.

2 Likes