Use Lume Pad as 2nd Windows monitor?

There is a new Android lenticular 3-D tablet on the market (I won’t mention the name) which advertises that it can be used as a 2nd monitor for a Windows PC. They say this allows you to view images in Stereo Photo Maker on their tablet. Can this be done with the Lume Pad?

3 Likes

I checked some older threads (should have done that first), and I understand the answer from Leia is “no”. But I think I understand why this is easy for the lenticular tablets, and maybe not for the Lume Pad. The array of lens on a lenticular screen is always there, so all you have to do is interlace the columns when displaying the image. But the light-field needs software to turn it on and direct the pixels to the appropriate views. (This is not a criticism; I’m just trying to understand the differences in technology.)

David

@David_in_VA We’re looking into possibilities for this feature.

There are multiple reasons though, including interlacing for Lightfield displays being significantly more complicated than just a 1-2-1-2 column interlace on lenticular devices, the DLB backlight controller, and additional rendering passes we do on content including anti-crosstalk and custom sub-pixel text rendering, etc.

Basically, the Lightfield rendering pipeline is heavily optimized top to bottom to deliver the best visual experience relating to comfort, which isn’t the same as generic solutions that try to offer a one-size-fits-all solution that sometimes ends up being the lowest common denominator.

Hopefully we’ll have more news about this in early 2022.

4 Likes