Using the LumaPad as a monitor for a 3D camera

Can the LumaPad 2 accept a live video signal? Does it have any HDMI or DP inputs? If not, if I use a HDMI to USB-C adapter, could I come in via USB-C with a live video signal? I ask because I’m curious if I could use the LumaPad as a camera monitor. The camera that would be connected to the LumaPad shoots stereoscopically so I want a method of viewing what I’m shooting in 3D but it needs to be essentially real-time. Hopefully with no more than perhaps 100ms of latency?

2 Likes

I’m not sure that will work, at least not without special software. I’m looking into this for other reasons (for gaming) but I haven’t quite figured it out yet. In theory, it should be possible, with the right adapters and software, but it doesn’t work out of box as far as I know.

1 Like

There should be a player App that coukd connect to wireless streams (by IP or something, like VLC), and be able to activate 3D mode

2 Likes

LeiaTube can do that, and if you can get your stream latency low enough AND it’s 3D, the added latency should be in the milliseconds.

Unfortunately most streaming tools people use and encoding systems take a lot longer. Streaming to Twitch has 8 seconds of latency minimum.

But yes, if anyone else made an app for this, it should work very easily.

1 Like

This is a very interesting topic. I’d like to see more on the possibility of connecting a Fuji W3 or QooCam Ego, for example, and/or what applications people have gotten to work.

2 Likes

This is my top request for one of these devices as well, along with being able to monitor from a 3d output, my main thing being that As I create stereoscopic content , the easier it is for me to create and monitor (especially if it was monitored on the Lume Pad) I’d be able to create awesome content to further sales and viewership on the Lume Pad. I have an After Effects sbs workflow which I’m stuck with a small TV to monitor with and could never travel with me, and filming things is guess-and-check for me with 2 GoPros or my 3d lenses strapped to Blackmagic or Panasonic but my dream is a way to view it in production because half the battle is just hoping I got it right. Shooting on w3 or this little DXG guy I bought is my option but being a post production guy my stuff could pop off with a proper production monitor or portable viewer for After Effects as well that does just the more simple split screen interlacing

The directions in LT say you can only convert streaming via their share function. Then I believe you have to be on a good WiFi with fast up load and down load. I have not found any streaming service that has share except YouTube. Prime will not even display on LP 2.

Not sure that this would be practical if you move around when filming. You would need to have your LP2 in a protective case adding more weight and bulk. If you mount it on a tripod it would have heavy duty with a big ass clamp. If you are wired then both devices would have to move. If you stream then you need a router and electrical.

Prime and other paid video streaming services have digital media rights protection mechanisms in place that prevent it from working with LeiaTube. Same with on the ACER Spatial Labs Edition 3D laptops, real time 3D conversion that comes with those laptops doesn’t work on that type of content either. It wont work until the streaming services partner with Leia to make it happen or possibly do something on their end to just allow streaming through LeiaTube as an exception.

Suggest changing the marketing hype and app plus button to read something like it only works with YouTube. No biggie for me but I could have saved time finding out the hard way. It was named LeiaTube for a reason, I guess.

It doesn’t only work with YouTube. It works with literally all web services that provide streamed web video, including YouTube, Twitch, Vimeo, Facebook, Tik Tok, and thousands more.

It just doesn’t support DRM’d video because those services block their videos usage on other sites and apps. You can reach out to those providers and tell them to stop blocking other apps or to build a Lume Pad 2 version.

I can’t even get it to work with YouTube and that has a share function. Name one other streaming service that you have watched 3d from that has a share function. Please post a link so I can see if it’s my LP 2 that’s the problem. I have deleted and reinstalled the LeiaTube app and rebooted the pad several times.

Vimeo, Twitch, and Facebook. People have uploaded SBS content to all three and it works in LeiaTube for me.

Have you tried using a different network? Like taking the device to Starbucks or another location with a good internet connection?

That maybe the key. You have to upload to the service rather than view other’s content. I will try that.

No, that has zero bearing on how LeiaTube performs. It works with the vast majority of content on the internet, literally millions of compatible videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Twitch.

Sorry just trying to wrap my head around all of this.