3D view with face tracking?

Is this something possible; to be able to view 3D without facetracking? Like static 3D mode. Like other 3D devices I’ve used in past?
I turned facetrackig off and 3D shut off as well (Camera / LeiaPlayer)

No. Due to the architecture of the display, there’s no way to make 3D work without FaceTracking.

:frowning:
That’s sad news. A static display should be possible since the tracker sometimes glitches and keeps it static 3D (viewable by front angle only.)
Surprised it’s not an actual option.

1 Like

i agree, sometimes, in a dark room for example, it’d be nice to use without the facetracking.

I recommend turning up the brightness :slight_smile:
istockphoto-1224128313-612x612

1 Like

Yeah, I prefer not to be blinded. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No. Due to the architecture of the display, there’s no way to make 3D work without FaceTracking.

Could you please elaborate on that? What is different between the Lume Pad 2 and the Nintendo 3DS that makes 3D without face tracking possible on one and not the other?

Just to be clear, when we talk about 3D without face tracking (which works on the Nintendo 3DS and is called disabling the Super Stable 3D mode), we assume that 3D will be visible only when the user is right in front of the device. As soon as the user is viewing the device with an angle, the 3D sweet spot is lost and image appears double/buggy. Nobody expects the 3D without face tracking to keep working when the device is viewed with an angle.

1 Like

The 3DS (and most other 3D devices) has a simple 2-view vertical column interlaced display structure, so you can just send one view to one set of pixel columns and one set to another.

The Lume Pad 2 has a complex asymmetric diagonal interlace pattern where your eye views do not line up with physical display views. You send the left eye view to multiple physical views and the right eye view to other physical views, and in some cases part of your left eye view and your right eye view are sent to the same physical display view.

It’s too complicated to be able to send your eyes a coherent visual signal without knowing where your eyes are, and it’s not like simple 3D displays where you’d just be able to intuitively move further right or left to find one of the many repeating views you can see in 3D.

1 Like

We could hack it to feed your API a fake picture of a face that stays still and trick it to think it’s from the camera. Might not get the result this person wants but it’s something somebody could try.

Would the display look essentially black to somebody whose eyes aren’t being tracked?

1 Like

probably not black but there would be uncomfortable cross-talk

though, if you could drive the “Fake head” with a touch-pad x/y input, it could be a nice accessibility feature where you could dial-in the viewpoint, while not needing the face-tracking,

sort of like if it lost tracking and continued to use last known good values

definitely an advanced / pro-user type of feature, since you’d inevitably be generating uncomfortable views in the process