Having issues using 3D in the dark

On lume pad 2 seem like you can’t use 3d in the dark because of eye tracking any why to fix that

2 Likes

It usually works for me as long as I put the screen on maximum brightness so it lights up your face. The camera does need to be able to see your face for Leia FaceTracking to work.

1 Like

Ok got you

I don’t think it’s working very well for darker skin tones. I had to turn on my room light for it to go into 3d. Even at the max brightness, in a dark room, it keeps switching between 3d and 2d even when I’m not moving.

1 Like

We have tested it extensively with darker skin tones. In fact, a large chunk of the Leia team have dark complexions.

High contrast between you and the wall/background behind you should ensure the tracking works perfectly. Leia FaceTracking is purely computer-vision based, so if your head/face/mouth/eyes are easily visible, that makes it work easier. It usually works well even if one thing isn’t visible (wearing a mask, wearing sunglasses, low contrast background, etc.) but if two things above are not visible, you can expect there to be issues, e.g. wearing a mask while also in the dark.

Still, we strongly recommend using the device in a lit room, which is a similar limitation to standalone VR headsets that use camera-based tracking.

Yeah it’s not a deal breaker but i wear glasses and am a darker complexion. It’s something I’ve grown accustomed to

Why is face detection required for 3d to be enabled?

1 Like

This is the way the hardware was designed from the outset. Because of this, it offers a phenomenal 3D experience when it can track the user, but can not provide a consistently good experience when it can not, thus the device automatically drops to 2D view mode when a user isn’t detected.

2 Likes

Then, in dark conditions, the tablet should “shut off” the eye tracking but not the 3D effect, like the Hydrogen One, or the Rokit IO 3D pro. Both phones remain “the grid” without “auto adjustment” but with the 3D effect ON.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the display design is completely different than those other devices and could not work properly in that scenario. Thus, it switches to 2D when a face is not detected.

1 Like

Okay so could you add a setting to make the lume pad 2 think there’s a face on the dark? Sure the hardware is designed to have a face. So why not add an option for it to think there’s a face on the middle of the screen to car can be enabled or disabled… maybe even have it show the same thing at different angles when it is forced to act as if the was a face there.

Makes sense to me as a valid solution.

Quest2’s tracking works perfectly well in a completely dark room IF you use an infrared illuminator. I wonder how the Leia face tracking would respond under similar conditions.

That is a great point and one thing I never realized is that I can test this with my Nest Cam by turning it on with the light off so it activates the infrared for night vision. By default I only have it on when I am away from the home and it is off when I am in my room. I am guessing I should also have it behind the tablet and looking at my face as opposed to having the infrared shining directly at the cameras on the tablet.