App Updates 2/12/19

Yes, vanilla H4V (v2, the binary ones)

Original: IMG_20190214_23293717.jpg

V2: exported by RED Player v1.0.6
PS: the latest Photoshop 2019
macOS-preview: the OSX preview app (built-in)

Try loading these to Holopix for even more confusion!!!

OK - I’m totally confused by this. Can you post a spec?

If you save an image in RED Player 1.0.6 it says ‘version 2’ in the meta data, but that’s the only differece. The Right image is still Base64 encoded text in XMP.

The only difference in file size (eg: in @greg sample files in dropbox) is because the image size. ie:
camera 3.0.16 - 3840 × 2160 format 2.0
red play edited 1.0.6 1920 × 1080 format 2.0
red player edited older 1280 × 720 format 1.2

I guess that you have authored a ‘new format’, and Red Player 1.0.6 can read it, it doesn’t mean it’s writing it. But that is what people have assumed.

If you really want to write the right image as binary, then I assume you are ditching XMP and using either:

• extra channels (depth map)
  • sequential image (like MPO format)

Since I’m writing apps that read/write these files, having this stuff documented would be helpful. I don’t need a lot of detail. A sample file would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi @Arthur Thanks for inquiring about the binary image format. I know you asked for info in a couple of places on this forum and H4V so I checked with the team and wanted to get back to you here.

@roger.dass offered this information on H4V

“The Binary format feature is more of an internal one. It should be seamless to the user. Currently, RED Player supports reading this format, but does NOT write it out. This is in anticipation of other eco system apps incorporating the format. At that point, we will start saving to it as well.”

We understand that you are writing apps that work with these files but unfortunately at this time we do not have documentation or a sample file that we can share with you. We are preparing interfaces that will allow you and other users to work with these formats, but do not have an ETA at this time.

We appreciate your patience on this matter and look forward to providing these materials in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks @MatthewBurns and @roger.dass

Yes some updates to the Java and C++ API’s for reading / writing / displaying images would be great.

But I also need image specs for use off platform, eg: MacOS.