Camera video recording stutters - 2D and 3D

I’ve been experimenting with recording 3D video and I’ve found that it stutters. Even during even a slow pan there’s a slight stutter. It’s almost like it can’t keep up with recording the video. Is it a buffering issue? Not sure. I’ve had instances were the video froze for a second then continued.

I also find that the lenses try to auto focus or something which is recorded as well. It causing a forward bounce in the video. This seems to be happening in 2D and 3D.

The camera is the only app running and my storage space 67% free.

I realize that there’s a new camera update coming soon but I just thought I’d mention this. I’m not sure if other users have experienced the same thing.

1 Like

I did a quick test and found video stuttering occurs at fast or slow pan. At medium speed does not occur, also I think it depends on scene illumination, maybe with better light conditions will improve.
The things you describe about focus happen (along with the stuttering) on the Hydrogen One, not on the Lume, but if you’re writing this on Leiacam section I assume you’re using the Lume

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and feedback. Yes, that 's correct. I am using the Lume Pad. I guess I should have mentioned that.

As for lighting conditions, this was outdoors in bright sun in dappled light, as well as slight overcast so no low lighting conditions. The pan is just a medium speed as steady as possible. Subject matter was just my backyard with trees and gardens.

I’ve tried several times and changing speeds with mixed results but there still a slight stutter present. It is more evident in 3D but I see it in 2D as well.

The auto focus does happen during a pan although it’s not severe. It still is noticeable though. It would be nice to be able to switch this feature off.

It feels like a buffering issue to me. Something to do with the image processing speed and writing to the SSD? Don’t know. I’m hoping it’s not just my tablet. Maybe the update will solve some of these issues?

Ist it Stuttering or ist it a rolling shutter Effect? Because You get rolling shutter with every CMOS camera at fast pans.

It’s stuttering. It isn’t a fast pan.

Is common on all stereoscopic cameras, the only 3D camera without that stuttering is… iPhone. Yes, a device not intended for 3D recording is so powerful that can record video from two lenses without stuttering. Using i3DMovieCam.
Only exception is Panasonic 3D1, but it records in 1080i (is smooth because records interlaced)

1 Like

I’ve noticed the stuttering too.

@Kano3D thanks for mentioning the 3D1, i might need to see if i can find one of those. i’m constantly on a quest for good stereoscopic gear. I think i might end up building a custom rig one of these days.

Also thanks for mentioning the i3DMovieCam app, that’s awesome. I wish I had a newer iPhone (still using an OG X, but once I get one, it’s nice to know i could more easily capture SBS images with it in a pinch)

For anyone else curious, I found this sample video in a Tweet someone made with that i3DMovieCam app: https://twitter.com/spmaker/status/1373873689008115714 (downloadable version: i3DMovieCam-Sample_2x1.mp4 - Google Drive )

here is an example of the stutter i recorded a couple days ago: VID_20210827_19002291_2x1.mp4 - Google Drive

this one features no panning, but there are bits in the video where a frame will repeat

That video does not represent actual quality of i3DMovieCam, it was in beta. Now it records two full 16:9 (forget portrait/square 3D videos) 30fps videos; or you can select Half-SBS, or anaglyph, but if you record the two separate videos you get more quality, and you can always reduce to Half-SBS and other lower quality formats while preserving full quality original recording.

1 Like

that’s awesome, excited to try it out. I might have a family member try to send me a clip from their phone haha!

interested to know if the double-frame thing tho is something Leia will be able to solve or if it’s a limitation.
maybe enabling alternative resolutions / frame rates would help.