iPhone "Portrait" mode photos

iPhone “portrait” mode photos contain a depth map generated by the phone. The image & depth map are saved in HEIC format file. The Leia Player doesn’t seem to recognize HEIC. I though viewing iPhone "portrait’ mode photos in 3D was one of the capabilities of the Lume Pad.

Leia player 2.13 beta does support HEIC format, install it.
I am running it right now

2.13 is now available in LeiaLoft, too.

Hey Michael - did you get HEIC working?

Yes, thank you, the HEIC worked fine. Unfortunately I have an iPhone 11 Pro and the depth maps are not as good as what I’ve seen from the new iPhone 12 with Lidar. The results can only be as good as the depth map, so I need to update my phone.

1 Like

Understood - exciting to see your iPhone 12 with it! Feel free to post some links when you get it up and running.

I don’t have a 12 yet - a future upgrade.

1 Like

In my case I can’t see depth of my iPhone portrait photos, they appear 2d.

Can someone please detail the best way to transfer iPhone portrait photos to the Lume Pad (via email, Dropbox, or Google Drive, etc) for conversion to 3D in LeiaPlayer? Where do you save the photos on the Lume Pad for viewing in LeiaPlayer? Thanks!

Hey @Cytochrome,

All the options you mentioned should work. I think the absolute easiest way is to use Google Photos and make sure to have the setting “Original Quality” on.

Then Google Photos on iOS will automatically synchronize the photos you take with Google Photos on your Lume Pad, which makes it easy for you to then convert them in LeiaPlayer.

1 Like

I use the App Photosync for that. They exists for Android and iOs and works perfect.

2 Likes

PhotoSync is the best way to transfer images between all devices or even network servers. I even configure it to add the _2x1 to my jpg 3D files from iPhone or PC, so Lume and Hydrogen can recognise it directly as 3D image/video.

1 Like

Thanks, I will give Photosync a try.

@Kano3D the new Leia Player ist able to detect the Type of the Pictures and offers automatic renaming, in the RHO it works only If You have the Pictures in the Internal memory since it’s Developed for the LumePad, which doesn’t have SD Storage.

1 Like