Is the Android SDK required for Unreal plugin

When I went though the Unreal plugin docs there is no mention of having to install the Android SDK, however the Unreal Docs and the message I get when I try to build my test does?! Are the Android tools a prerequisite or are then necessary api’s included in the plugin?

Thanks!

I’m replying to my own question. After several hours I finally got my very simple UE5 project to build. The instructions on adding the camera worked perfectly. I did have to install both Android studio and Visual Studio. One very important thing. The Android SDK moved to C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\cmdline-tools. The version of the sdkmanager under Sdk\tools does not work. One thing I had to do is change the script that calls sdkmanager to point to the new location because it will use the old location if the .bat file is there. Also, any of the video playback plugins will cause a failure if they are enabled, as well as the houdini plugin. In short, this can be painful. I would suggest updating the docs for the new location. Finally don’t forget to fill in the location of both the Android SDK, NDK and the Java JDK/SDK. This is under platforms Android SDK. Hope this helps!!

1 Like

The file name is
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Extras\Android\SetupAndroid.bat

Hello Wendysarrett,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have updated our documentation to include a prerequisite that you can build to an Android device before adding the Leia SDK, with links to Unreal’s documentation on the subject:

Cheers,

Joe

1 Like