Moonlight3D for Lume Pad 2 and Nubia Pad 3D

Why is this not in the news all over the internet?
I just discovered this by chance and it works great!

I do my gaming on my old-ish Samsung big screen 3D TV, but it’s great to have a backup 3D tablet just in case. :slight_smile:

Thank you Nima and Leia!

Looking forward to experiencing new 3D miracles from you!

2 Likes

Im not sure really how the tech for this works, but I’m curious, is it possible to make this work for 3D content that is being displayed in other formats?

And even more curious to know if this is technically possible to mirror what is being displayed in 3D on another Lume Pad 2 display. For example, if I was watching a video or playing a game on my Lume Pad 2, and was using moonlight to stream it to another Lume Pad 2 that someone else sitting in the same room was using, is it possible to make that type of 3D streaming work?

Final follow up question to this. With products like Helios 300 Spatial Labs edition, would it be possible for the 3D version of moonlight to support streaming in 3D or the 3D games and other things displayed on the laptops so that someone else can watch in 3D at the same time using a Lume Pad 2? Obviously one of the biggest drawbacks of all these devices is that they only work for one person at a time. So it would be really really cool if this were technically possible.

Yes.

No.

No.

You might have answered it not sure,

Can you for example extend the screen so it works as a second monitor not just mirroring. So I can use a software to edit and only showing the 3d picture on the tablet?

Also, I read somewhere a tutorial was coming, that would be welcomed.

Cheers

Jerome

If you can get Moonlight to work that way, then it’ll work. If not, then it won’t. My understanding is that it mirrors the primary display by default.

All Moonlight tutorials apply to Moonlight3D. Feel free to look online right now!

1 Like

Is for any chance to port Moonlight3D to the original lumepad?

Leia has no plans to make a port of Moonlight3D for the original Lume Pad.

But Moonlight is an open source project, anyone can do it! Even you!

It takes some trickery, but yes. This is less do with the Moonlight client software and more about the software used on the source machine, specifically Sunshine.

Sunshine can stream the image from exactly 1 monitor on the source system. If you have multiple monitors then by default it sends the primary monitor image, but you can change that in the config to mirror a different monitor. However, if you want to use the LumePad as an extra screen (not mirroring an existing one), you first need to trick your machine into thinking it has more monitors attached than it actually does.

Option 1: if you have a graphics card that supports multiple monitors and you have a free port, you can buy a dummy HMDI adapter (such as this) that fools your graphics card into thinking there is a monitor attached.

Option 2: use something like IddSampleDriver to fool your machine into creating a virtual display. I’ve used this option personally for a different project using Sunshine recently and it has some caveats as it’s a little tricky to get working, but it did work for me. If you have a graphics card that will work with option 1 that’s definitely much simpler.

Once you’ve used one of those options you just need to set your Windows desktop to extended mode and then change the correct option in Sunshine to send the display from your fake monitor. Note that Moonlight3D will still need that fake monitor to present SBS content in order to get 3D on the LumePad, just like you would if you were mirroring your main display.

2 Likes

Would it be fair to infer that a future version might be able to do realtime from a flat source, but there is no timeline for that future version at present? Or is that feature simply not feasible?

Thanks for posting the info about using the dummy HDMI adapter. I tried it, and it works quite well. If you go into Windows display settings, extend your desktop and check the box for the dummy to be your main monitor, then Sunshine will automatically start mirroring the dummy. If you then start (or restart) Moonlight3D, you will see the dummy’s portion of the desktop on your Lume Pad 2. This is a very nice “second monitor” solution.

Just got my lume pad 2 with the nice sale going on man I’m glad I did this thing is premium. Had steam VR working with moonlight 3d now that was cool. Except no matter what I tried I can’t get rid of ghosting happening :frowning: Also got scorn working with geo 11. Leiatube, leiaflix are awesome. This is a huge step up from the first one. Going to enjoy this tablet!

Hey there foks, my first post.

I just got the Lume Pad 2, and it’s great ! Maybe one of you tech wizards can help me on something… I am outputing SBS via sunshine on native resolution, to the lume pad, and it successfully merges the images into 1 but there is no 3D effect. I see two images first, as expected, then I 3 finger tap and it moves to 3D mode except there is no 3D, it’s just like a normal mirrored 2D resolution. Of note that I am using an app called DesktopSBS, which is free and works great, in that it splits my windows 10 into SBS, but when I output via DesktopSBS it offers no 3D which is very strange. Because if I play a random youtube video with 3D SBS, the lume pad merges it and it also has 3D effect. So maybe SBS is not enough, we need to overlay some 3D effect to the image as well ? If DesktopSBS doesn’t work, do you know other ways I can split my Windows 10 desktop into SBS ?

Thanks,
Seb

Hey there Nima… I just got the Lume Pad 2, and it’s great ! Maybeyou can can help me on something… I am outputing SBS via sunshine on native resolution, to the lume pad, and it successfully merges the images into 1 but there is no 3D effect. I see two images first, as expected, then I 3 finger tap and it moves to 3D mode except there is no 3D, it’s just like a normal mirrored 2D resolution. Of note that I am using an app called DesktopSBS, which is free and works great, in that it splits my windows 10 into SBS, but when I output via DesktopSBS it offers no 3D which is very strange. Because if I play a random youtube video with 3D SBS, the lume pad merges it and it also has 3D effect. So maybe SBS is not enough, we need to overlay some 3D effect to the image as well ? If DesktopSBS doesn’t work, do you know other ways I can split my Windows 10 desktop into SBS ?

Thanks Nima (I think I replied to wrong user for my first post).

It seems like your app is simply duplicating the 2D desktop twice. Just being SBS isn’t enough, there needs to be depth information embedded into the two images in the form of pixel disparity.

If there’s no disparity, you’ll see no depth. That’s why it works for other content but not your desktop.

1 Like

Thanks Nima, so what do you recommend to obtain split desktop images with pixel disparity ? I’m trying to stream videos in 3D specifically. Leia player has the 2D to 3D converter tool but it doesn’t plug into every streaming site, so I was left with the idea to output my PC in SBS. Maybe I can add something in sunshine settings or run an overlay tool on top of the SBS, in parallel with DesktopSBS thanks.

I have no idea, I’m not even sure how to start as it would require heavily modifying Windows.

You’d have the same problem on a PC. All the streaming sites like Netflix and Disney+ have DRM. If you try to modify or capture the screen while they’re running, they’ll just display a black screen. Try it with OBS or another capture tool and you’ll see what I mean.

Thanks Nima… To be transparent, I wanted to watched anime on the Lume Pad because some influencers were saying it would be a killer app for the Lume Pad. Anime is always flat in 2D, and having depth added to it is a real game changer, it’s immersive and gives a new experience of manga. I used it with Youtube for some anime excerpts and the experience was indeed wonderful for the most part. But I can only do it for excerpts, I guess since there are no streaming alternatives maybe an alternative would be to legally download/purchase online and then apply some filters to the video. Not sure lume can access local source file and convert to 3D ? Also I’d have to research were to source manga, maybe there are no such sites, lol. Just throwing ideas there, but manga in 3D is something unique the Lume could focus on. Imagine Totoro in 3D, all Miyazaki movies, etc… it would be amazing.

Any photo or video you put locally on the device can be converted to 3D in real-time using LeiaPlayer. Just open the file and tap the “3D” button.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that Nima. I appreciate it. best,

Looks like Blue-ray is a viable option for anime, you can rip them to your PC in very high resolution and then apply the Lume Pad effect on them. There are also various legal streaming sites that allow downloads. The downside of that approach is that you’re eating up storage a bit. But I guess if you use Micro-SDs for your various animes, you’re fine storage wise.