Citra 3DS for Lume Pad 2

Wanted to share that I’ve released an apk to my Github page for my fork of the Citra 3DS emulator that adds basic support for Lume Pad 2!

I’ve got some additional features and enhancements in mind down the line, but I wanted to share the initial proof of concept as soon as possible

Special thanks to @simongellis for his support in helping get this working.

If you enjoy this release please consider supporting my work:

:coffee: ko-fi.com/jakedowns
:fish_cake: patreon.com/jakedowns
:heart_eyes_cat: github.com/sponsors/jakedowns

10 Likes

This is a surprise Jake! I wasn’t expecting Lume Pad 2 support this quickly.

I’m so excited to play all my favorites on the Lume Pad 2! This is going to be amazing.

6 Likes

Tested it with two games I have: mario bros and captain toad
With Mario it works mostly fine ones shaders are loaded during a second level play through
Captain toad had too much stuttering to be playable.
But in both cases the 3D effect was really good.
So for a first release and in such short amount of time amazing work.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Wow this is awesome!! Thank you Jake and simon!! You guys have done a great job porting over to the lumpad 2.
I was on the fence on returning the lumepad then this, i tried out ace combat and link between worlds not for along session but the both run better than on lumepad 1 there is audio stutter but im sure with tweeking they can run better, ace combat would not run at all before it was a stuttering mess now it is playable. I have a ton of games for the 3ds now i have to find the time to get them on the lumepad. Big screen 3ds gaming oh yeah!!

4 Likes

Yoooo!!! This is amazing!! Thank you so much, it works very well. I love it in fullscreen, full depth and controlled with a bluetooth gamepad. The only issue is I lose 3D when opening the settings page, but it comes back if I go into settings and back out with the arrow. Thanks for this! wow.

4 Likes

Thanks a ton! You help make the device a real dream come true.

5 Likes

Just wanted to ad an update i tried a few games and i am surprise by how many work you do have to play with settings and adjust your expectations but what we have here is impressive, if only they would have went with the SD gen1 or added an internal cooling with modified clock speeds this would have been perfect for 3ds emulation. I know that the emulator is not without its own issues and only working on open gl and not supporting vulcan but im happy with the results, lime i said b4 i was going to return it but this app made me change my mind, it is out of my budget though lol

5 Likes

Awesome job Jake!
I remember you mentioning you had a few updates coming soon as well including depth slider options

1 Like

Hi jake,
I was wondering is it possible to have a port of the mmj citra with the lumepad 2 compatability, i think mmj has better game compatability and more options for tweaking your game experience. Looking forward to whats next from you ppssp maybe? Fingers crossed

2 Likes

hey there! last time i looked into forking mmj, it seemed like part of the speed increase was made possible by ripping out the sterescoping rendering support

but it’s been years since i’ve evaluated it, so maybe it’s been added back in.

i’ll take a look and see what’s possible. thanks for the reminder that it’s an option

2 Likes

hey, yup! i do intend to get those added asap. just juggling a lot of priorities right now. thanks for your continued interest, i’ll post when i have an update :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@jakedowns first i would like to say thank you and simon for your work on the lumepad 2 , i had a few questions on other emulators and wanted to know if it was possible to get them working on the lumepad and lumepad 2 in 3d and if you tried to get them to work on them before. The other day i finally put the ppssp vr app on my quest 2 and it works like a dream, i wanted to know if you have tried getting it to work with the lumepad 1&2, the app also has an experimentle 3d feature and i also think the app in general supports google cardboard like the citra, it would be awesome to play those games on the lumepads. My other question is regarding retroarch and also Dolphin emulater. Regarding retroarch i read here on the forums that it also was 3d compatible would that make all emulators and games played through retroarch playable in 3d if you mannage to get it coded with the lumepad sdk? And same for dolphin, have you tried getting that to work? Now my last question, i own the nreal glasses i saw that you made a video player fork for it which works but with bugs but works and is kool ty for that, i tried getting the glasses to display a 3d image from the lumepad for citra and was unable to,have you tried to do the same?

2 Likes

First thank you for releasing Citra on Lume Pad2. I love it.
There’s one thing I didn’t figure out yet though- is it possible to use my bluetooth Xbox controller instead of tablet touchscreen controls?
I paired the controller with Lume Pad 2 and it works in other games, but Citra doesn’t seem to recognise it. I’m able to bring up the menu with one of the buttons though.

Are there some settings that I should set for it to work?
Many thanks for your help in advance.

1 Like

@Egon hey there, thanks for the feedback!

yes, you can connect a bluetooth controller but you have to manually set up the input bindings in the settings

i’m working on getting profiles for popular controllers added so it’s more of an automatic process.

hope this helps

1 Like

hey there! i haven’t tried ppsspp yet, but i might try to add support soon!

i have started looking into dolphin, but it seems like there’s some underlying graphics pipeline stuff that needs fixed for stereoscopic rendering to work on their android emulator

i haven’t tried Into3D with the Lume Pad 2 in several months, so it could be that there is a bug preventing it from working properly. i’ll add it to my list of things to look into, thanks for the kind words and your interest in the projects!

3 Likes

Ah, that’s great to hear and it makes sense! Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Have both Mario Kart 7 and Legend of Zelda a link between worlds. Changed the settings to side by side and depth to 35. But I still get the side by side images and not converting to 3d

You need to use the Version from Leia App Store and Set the proper Output, side b Side won’t Cut it If it is anything like the Version for the LumePad 1.

I cant find citra in the app store

It’s not in the Appstore on Lume Pad 2 yet. The early access version is linked by @jakedowns above on GitHub.

1 Like