Desktop Monitor Wish List, Poll

While I was disappointed is certain aspects of the Lume Pad 2’s hardware and software, one thing which was not lacking is the 3D effect technology itself. While it does have a few rough edges, it overall provides a much nicer view of 3D content than a boring 2D display. It is definitely something I would like to see in a standalone desktop monitor.

Leia does have a 4k 120hz MiniLED “Monitor 27” platform listed.

While it’s not clear if Leia itself or another manufacturer could end up releasing it, there are some things I would like to see and some things which are a must have for me in a potential 3D desktop monitor. What about you?

A reasonable price
The Lume Pad 2 has been discounted as low as $650. Cooler Master and Acer have 4k 160hz MiniLed monitors which have a regular cost of $800, but has been discounted as low as $600. It seems to me that around double the cost for going from 2D to 3D would be perfectly achievable.

Maximum price willing to pay in US dollars
  • Low price (~$1000-1200)
  • Moderate price (~$1200-1400)
  • High price (~$1400-1600)
  • Very high price (~$1600+)
0 voters

Use cases
I would expect that the desired qualities of the monitor would vary significantly based on the use cases, whether someone is viewing 3D engineering models, 3D movies, or playing 3D games. Personally I would use 3D for gaming and movies, but stick to 2D for productivity.

Use cases
  • 3D productivity, professional visualization
  • 3D entertainment, content consumption
  • 2D productivity, professional visualization
  • 2D entertainment, content consumption
0 voters

Compatibility with existing 3D source devices and content
There are multiple types of 3D output devices which have been on the market for years. While it is possible to offer a proprietary SDK for modern computing devices like laptops and tablets, for many devices that isn’t possible. Prior generation game consoles like the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 apparently have a fair selection, (about ~100?) of 3D games, and of course old games and consoles can’t take advantage of new SDKs. And I would assume that a significant portion of nonprofessional consumers who would want a 3D display would like to watch 3D Blurays on a Bluray player, which definitely won’t be updated to support a new SDK. As far as I understand there are several standardized ways to output 3D over HDMI and DisplayPort, hopefully they could all be supported.

Compatibility with existing 3D source devices and content
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

Glossy vs matte panel type
I personally would love to see a glossy panel. I have a glossy phone and tablet, matte monitors, a glossy laptop and matte laptops, and I can tell a big difference in display quality, the matte displays just look dull, while the glossy displays look sharp and vibrant. Here is an example of a identical monitor with only the difference of glossy or matte panel.

Glossy vs matte panel type
  • Glossy
  • Matte
  • No preference
0 voters

USB C video/power/data ports
Fortunately seems to be the trend nowadays, being able to have a direct single cable connection to laptops, tablets, phones, and gaming handhelds without a separate dock is very nice. As to power output, 30w or so would be plenty for me personally.

USB C video/power/data port(s)
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

USB Switch
My current monitor has a 2 way USB switch over either the USB C or DP/HDMI with USB B. This lets me connect my mouse and keyboard to the monitor’s hub, and then they automatically switch between my desktop or a laptop depending on which is being displayed, though I need to use an additional external USB switch if I want to assign to the other 2 video inputs. There is a least one monitor with a 4 way every video source USB switch. I would very much like to have at least a 2 way USB C or DP/HDMI USB switch built in to the monitor, ideally with a USB B connection alongside each DP/HDMI video connection to eliminate any need for an external USB switch.

USB switch
  • Must have for every (4+?) video source
  • Must have 2 way, nice to have for every (4+?) video source
  • Nice to have 2 way
  • No preference
0 voters

All video ports capable of taking full advantage of the display resolution, refresh rate, color depth, 3D
This is a pet peeve of mine. Several modern monitors have been released with so called HDMI 2.1 ports with crippled levels of bandwidth requiring chroma subsampling to run at the full resolution and refresh rate, or with USB C video ports which support a limited refresh rate. Or TVs like Sony where 2 out of the 4 HDMI ports have modern features and full bandwidth and the other 2 are obsolete ports.

All video ports capable of taking full advantage of the display resolution, refresh rate, color depth, 3D
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

3D AI conversion
One of the touted features of the Lume Pad 2, the ability to convert 2D content to 3D in real time. Some people seem to really like the LP2 implementation, but I found it to be pretty poor quality, enough that I wouldn’t bother using it. The depth it produces is very shallow compared to natively rendered 3D content, and it totally goes haywire if any text such as burned in subtitles is present. However, I still think the idea has potential, I would simply like to see some major improvement in the implementation. I would assume on a monitor this could be done as a global conversion of the connected input sources, though of course doing it on the monitor would increase the required hardware and thus cost. It could be done with an SDK, but then locked down devices like game consoles would not be able to take advantage of it.

3D AI conversion
  • Must have, enhanced over LP2
  • Must have, at LP2 quality
  • Nice to have, enhanced over LP2
  • Nice to have, at LP2 quality
  • No preference
0 voters

3D eye tracking
Eye tracking for 3D content on the Lume Pad 2 works mostly well, though it sometimes has some hiccups, possibly caused by my wearing glasses. The biggest problems are the limitation of requiring the environment to be lit, not working in the dark, and being limited to a single person.

3D eye tracking
  • Enhanced over LP2 and working in dark, for multiple people
  • Enhanced over LP2 and working in dark
  • At LP2 quality
  • No preference
0 voters

OSD controllable by connected input devices
There are a few MSI monitors with the ability to control the OSD with wired game controllers. Controlling monitor OSDs with buttons or analog stick on the monitor is clunky. It would be cool to be able to press a single button on the monitor to open the OSD, and the monitor could then reassign input devices connected to the USB hub to control the OSD instead of forwarding them to the upstream devices, then switch them back when the OSD is closed.

OSD controllable by connected input devices
  • Nice to have, keyboard
  • Nice to have, gamepad
  • No preference
0 voters

Monitor control software, ideally cross platform
The OSD control stick on my MSI monitor malfunctioned within 2 months of use, so now I just use the provided Windows utility to change monitor settings instead of the native OSD. It would be nice to have such monitor control software. One way this could be implemented would be WebUSB, which could enable supporting 5 out of 6 of general computing OSes with a single application. Even better to also have a publicly documented API usable for third parties, and robust support for control using existing tools over DDC/CI, CEC, USB MCC.

Monitor control software
  • Must have cross platform
  • Must have any platform, nice to have cross platform
  • Nice to have any platform
  • No preference
0 voters

Cross Platform or Open Source 3D SDK/API
I assume that custom communication between the monitor and source devices required for an SDK or API would have to take place over USB, thus it should be possible to provide an SDK for every platform which provides USB device access to applications. As I know that should be at least Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, Chrome, and Edge. It would be great to see all of these platforms officially supported, but I understand that Leia has limited development resources, so if not I would at least like to see it open enough to enable the community to support other platforms themself if anyone wished to.

Cross Platform or Open Source 3D SDK/API
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

Built in speakers
Some monitors have speakers built into the bottom or back, usually not the best quality, but good enough for basic use and convenient as they don’t require keeping track of another device.

Built in speakers
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

USB audio output
I use USB C desktop speakers, USB C wired earbuds, and wireless headphones with a USB A dongle, so being able to output audio over USB is important to me. There are a lot of devices which support USB audio output, laptops, desktops, PS5, etc. However, there are a lot which don’t support it, like Wii, Xbox, disc players, etc. It is the reason why the only type of TV I would consider purchasing is Android TV, because it is the only smart TV platform which supports USB audio output. This enables relaying the audio output to USB by extracting it from the HDMI source connection, making otherwise incompatible audio source devices work with USB audio output devices.

USB audio output
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • No preference
0 voters

Refresh rate
A lot of monitors such as LG’s just announced ThinkVision 3D are still limited to 60hz, which is pretty unimpressive. The extreme high refresh rates like 480hz are somewhat niche, useful for things like competitive gaming, but even for general use such as moving the cursor around the screen, having 120hz or higher looks much nicer than 60hz, and I would consider at least 120hz, ideally higher, a requirement for any display I purchase going forward.

Refresh rate
  • Must have 240hz+
  • Must have 120hz+, nice to have 240hz+
  • Nice to have 120hz+
  • Fine with 60hz
0 voters

Ethernet port and passthrough
An ethernet port could be included. Personally, I would not want this to be utilized directly by the monitor for smart display or update functionality because of the increased possibility for security vulnerabilities. It would however be useful to passthrough to connected HDMI devices without their own ports, such as Chromecasts, and connected USB C video source devices, laptops, gaming handhelds, tablets, etc.

Ethernet port and passthrough
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • Must not have
  • No preference
0 voters

Repurpose eye tracking module as generic USB camera
Since autostereoscopic 3D based on eye tracking would need to have a camera module built into the monitor, it would be great to be able to repurpose it to use also as a generic USB camera over the monitor’s USB hub for video calls with connected desktops or laptops. Also the inclusion of a microphone to complement the camera.

Repurpose eye tracking array as generic USB camera
  • Must have
  • Nice to have
  • Must not have
  • No preference
0 voters
1 Like

Lenovo has just announced their 27" 3D desktop monitor, launching early next year for $3000. Unfortunately, it’s limited to a pathetic 60hz, and they haven’t indicated anything regarding content compatibility.

Just a note regarding compatibility with games like the PS3: You might as well just say frame packed compatability to keep it simple, because everything coming over HDMI is part of that standard. Whether its a Blu-ray 3D player, a game console or a 3D camcorder the screen doesn’t need to know what it is, and it wouldn’t make a difference.

1 Like

Thanks, @Daniel , for creating this survey. Voters should note that for those questions where multiple answers are allowed, you must click an extra button to register your vote.

David

You would think so, but I think unfortunately it does bare repeating and being specific. You can indeed only implement half the standard.

3D Blu-Rays running on a PS3 at 1080p24fps work on the new Goovis G3 Max, but PS3 games running at 720p60fps do not. So I do think people should make it clear to device manufacturers that they want both 3D Blu-Ray support for movies AND support for games, otherwise a manufacturer could erroneously only support movies. The HDMI 3D spec packs the frames differently between 1080p and 720p signals.

2 Likes

I’ve never used a PS3, is it strictly 720/60?

No, the PS3 has 1080p 60hz games, but only some games reach that, like only a few games reach 4k 120hz on PS5 or XSX.

Yes.

Can you name one on PS3? As far as I can tell, the HDMI 3D spec doesn’t support 1080p in 3D at higher than around 24/25/30fps. If a game supported 1080p60fps, it would have been anaglyph or TrioViz rather than HDMI 3D.

All the 1080p60fps 3D games were on PC with Nvidia 3D Vision or AMD HD3D.

Most 3D displays at the time, including the PlayStation 3D Display designed for PS3, maxed out at 1080p24fps and couldn’t even do 30fps in 1080p in 3D.

1 Like

I don’t know about 1080p 60hz 3D PS3 games, was only saying in general at least 2D.

I have added several more options to the bottom of the poll for speakers, camera, USB audio, refresh rate, and Ethernet.

Wait a minute, so playing PS3 on a PS display would result in very juddery gameplay? (60fps unevenly chopped to 24)

No, because all games ran at 60fps but at 720p resolution. The 24fps limitation only applies to 1080p resolution.

1 Like

Hello, I also would like to see improvements in the L2 conversion of 2D → 3D in that sometimes it ‘flattens’ out a significant feature in small areas. However, overall I think it is really good. And is good enough to at least convert my older photos to ‘re-experience’ the photo now in 3D.

However, there are few items I would like to comment about/add to your survey:

1. Enhance the 2D → 3D conversion, always improve – and I can appreciate the difficulty to write such a program, but please place on the list. I will wait for the next updates.

2. BATCH MODE for Leia Player → I have older photos and I want to convert. I have not figured out how to convert a batch of photos rather than one at a time. (and if anyone can tell me how to do a batch mode, really appreciate it.). Maybe add a ‘Select File’ box by the photos, and then hit ‘Convert’ button?

3. Leia Player works for SD Card?

4. If there is a desktop version of the 2D->3D converter, that would be best. Is there a link to one that can be used on the WIN PC?

5. 2 USB-C ports. I can use a USBC to ethernet hub for the single port — . This works fine. But then I need another for charging and/or audio to headphones.

Thanks

1 Like

Sorry, one more feature. I have older MPO files for the Fuji 3D camera. The parallax and 3D effects are slightly different due to the camera specifications. Sometimes it can feel like eye-strain to see the effect. You provide an adjustment but sometimes it can’t seem to adjust enough.

I would like to suggest that the Player takes into account the MPO from the FUJI and perhaps make the adjustments on the fly, OR, provide a wider range on the editing scale so that the eye strain for the MPO file can be reduced? Or maybe other types of adjustments?

Of course, the auto adjust for the Fuji camera characteristics to the Lume Pad would be best.

We are always improving our 2D to 3D conversion, but unfortunately, we’re limited by the chipset on the device for local conversions. Not that it won’t improve, but the delta between what the quality was at launch and the quality it will be after whatever the final update is will not be large. The conversion is already tuned tightly with what the chipset is capable of.

However, we have cloud-based conversion that we’re updating all the time and is not limited by mobile chipsets. Customers already have the option to use LeiaPix Converter to convert photos, and we will offer paid options to convert photos and videos at much higher quality in the near future.

Your feedback has been heard. The only way to do batch conversion now is the LeiaPix Cloud API, which is obviously only for developers. We will think about how to make this easier in the future.

You can use the “File Manager” app to open files on the MicroSD card and choose “Open in LeiaPlayer”, and it will work with both 2D files and 3D files, but will NOT allow you to convert 2D images or videos into 3D when opened from the MicroSD card.

Here is a link to the LeiaPix Converter.

USB-C hubs are fully supported. Just use a hub and you’ll be able to use both simultaneously right now. That’s the beauty of USB-C.

We are doing Auto-Reconvergence on all MPOs by default. With the next update of LeiaPlayer, you’ll be able to disable this by adding “_noreconv” to the filename of images. This will display them as-is, however, there’s no guarantee that will make them look any better. Images with very high disparity and contrast will not look great on the Lume Pad 2 display, so to make them look good you’ll have to edit them to reduce either contrast, disparity, or both before displaying them on the Lume Pad 2 display.

We do this already. The result you see is the best we’ve been able to do. Our data shows that for most images most of the time, it looks great, but if you took images from up close with a lot of disparity, it won’t look good.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications!

I will look into the Pix Converter. But a ‘batch’ mode within Leia Player would be ideal + SD card access within Player. Of all the items I suggested, I would really appreciate the ‘batch’ mode in that I have some really nice jpgs and would like to convert to 3D.

And I do know about the SD card, using Leia as the default. However, I think the problem I ran into also is that I cannot ‘adjust’ the image.

As for the MPO, I do understand the programming requirements and time (given all suggestions you’re receiving). I would think that the logical approach is to ‘match’ the Fuji optics to your Lume Pad optics. But, I am sure you guys understand it better.

As a sidenote, I had a Rembrandt 3D (Using TriDef), but the tablet was small, the brightness was low, and you had to do the usual ‘hold it just right’. It is now a boat-anchor in that it has a fatal error with the ‘phone’ sim, which is not even used and is a flaw with the Android OS anyway.

And I do have the Fuji 3D display, which is really small.

You guys have made some really significant improvements over these. It is a great unit.

Thanks! I look forward to the next updates!

Dan

Acer just announced their SpatialLabs View Pro 27 monitor, launching Q1 2024. It looks pretty good, USB C, DP 2.0, HDMI 2.1, and unlike the 60hz Lenovo ThinkVision, a smooth 160hz refresh rate. The only concern is the as yet unannounced price, with the marketing focused on professional designers possibly indicating Acer is not targeting mass market pricing.

I just want to come in here, say hello, and voice my support for a “batch” mode on the lumepad. I think a lot of buyers for lumepad come with some large photo libraries from other devices and one big draw to lumepad is the ability to convert. Not to say the feature would be easy or to understate the work needed to get it done, but I would think most owners “expect” this kind of batch processing behavior.

Acer has announced the 4k 160hz Predator SpatialLabs View 27. This appears to be the exact same display as their earlier announced SpatialLabs View Pro 27, except for a tripod stand rather than a flat stand. It is scheduled for launch Q1/Q2 at $2000.

1 Like

SpatialLabs View 27 Update:

June launch

3D resolution: 1920 × 1080

Response Time: 5 ms
Brightness: 400 nits
Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
Color Depth: 10 bits
Panel Dimensions: 23.5 x 13.2 in

1 Like