LeiaPlayer on Red Hydrogen: where are 2x1 jpg files after editing

As I think I misunderstood this, (after seeing the thread about the new apk for blender,) I thought I should mention that all of the development tools čan be found at [Leialoft Developer]..

In case you haven’t already signed up.

2 Likes

Well, the position of h4v files and metadata is really a puzzle to me… As I have mentioned, I guess the origin of the problem is my installing an SD 128 Gb Sandisk (expressly sold as “suitable for Hydrogen” on Amazon.com) as additional internal memory. And in fact it works smooth: if I go under the Android settings I see “40.35 Gb out if 256 Gb used” and among details, 33.7 out of 128 of internal memory and 6.65 out of 128 of SD Sandisk. If I browse, I will see that just a few apps and data, as long as pictures, are in the SD; 20Gb of the internal memory occupied by OS. However if I use the File Manager I read: 4% used: 4.9 Gb out of 116.7Gb… If I use the file manager I find all jpg I did, but nothing else: no h4v, no metadata…nothing. Still everything works, so that in Leiaplayer I see 3D pictures edited, but at this point I’m afraid that even the google automatic backup, that should store metadata for 3D pictures, will not be complete!. As I have mentioned in my earlier post, I thought that preinstalled File Manager wasn’t that smart, then I have installed two different popular file managers, apparently very powerful, but nothing new appeared. I have also tried to browse the content of the phone connecting to my laptop but…guess what: I only see the SD card. I’m really ignorant about Android (while I have a good experience on Windows and pc, where I developed also some commercial app several years ago): I have read (late) that when you indicate that the SD card is not to be used as removable, the internal memory will be “hided” to the user. Well…but Leiaplayer actually accesses very well everything (it is really strange and bad that there is not a more classical “save as” button to browse and decide). At this point I do not know what to do: I could reformat the SD card as removable external memory but I guess this would make a mess (since there are now also apps there, and installing/configuring all of them required more than one day). Any suggestion?

As the priority is finding your files, I’m thinking we should begin here.

I got so distracted, thinking about the google backup, and how that could be the cause, I completely forgot about Occam’s Razor.

Are we sure that this is a genuine Sandisk 128GB. Card?
I have seen obviously fake cards being sold on Amazon, and there is a very small possibility that this is an 8GB. Card, which has been edited to report itself as being 128GB.

A guide on how to check, can be found [Here].

1 Like

I think it is genuine: it was not bought on the market place but directly from amazon.it , and Android reports correctly its size. And everything works very smooth (actually I have to say that I had some random and unexplained reboot that could be related…)

1 Like

The random overwriting of files, whenever new files are written, is a symptom of a fake Memory Card.
This could also explain the random reboots, whenever the files for your installed applications vanish.

Although I confess, that as a rule of thumb, as I like to encrypt my internal storage, I don’t set the memory card as internal storage.
(One Member of H4Vuser discovered that when their HYDROGEN needed replacing, there was no way to decrypt the files on the Memory Card, without the HYDROGEN which was used to encrypt it.).

So if it relates to this, I can, (unfortunately,) be of no assistance.

If you’d like to run the tests, linked within the page available in the link above, don’t forget to back up all of your data first.

I know it’s harsh to say that your memory card may be fake.
However, if it’s fake or faulty, I think that you’ll probably want to address that ASAP. Before any critical problems appear.
(And before you lose any more images.).

Update:

So, I’ve been having a lot of fun in Leia Player, as I usually do my editing on a PC.
(I was trying to increase the contrast/ (convert to monochrome,) to make creating a layer mask a little easier, with a particularly difficult background.).

It does appear that when you edit in Leia Player, the changes are automatically saved when you close out.
If you desire to keep an original, as well as edit, the way around this for me, (there may be a better way of doing this,) is to create a copy before you start editing in Leia Player.
(I apologise for not being aware of this.).

Hope this helps.

Actually in Leia Player, in my Hydrogen one, the edited version is always saved as a copy, so not overwriting the original, unless I’m editing something that I edited previously. As matter of fact “overwrite” is not even present as option in the first editing. And I’m glad for this :slight_smile:

But when you say H4V format, do you mean .h4v, or still .jpg? In the latter case, I guess there is some metadata, but where it is supposed to be? in the camera folder I only see jpg

The Metadata is stored within the JPEG.
Much like GPS. Location data, if you have the Geo-tagging enabled.

This is why I was originally wondering if your Google Backup was using compression, which included removal/ editing of the Metadata.

However, for your files to randomly disappear, presumably, there would have to be some kind of synchronisation, which would somehow cause your original files to be over-written.

To me, this seems like too much assumption, and not enough evidence to form a working hypothesis.

2 Likes

Ok, if metadata is in the JPEG there is no mistery… I was looking for .h4v file or for some .png with depth map, but the only h4v file I have found is for videos.
Next question is: if metadata are in JPG, how I do see the picture in the way you have shown (4 views) so that I can edit it? Which software do you use?

1 Like

The only way this has worked for me, is by uploading to Holopix, followed by capturing a screenshot.

However, there is a final RED Player APK. around somewhere.
I believe that you can still save as Q4V. By using this software.
However, it would require side-loading, and it would probably be best to politely ask (correction) John Friday, to ensure that the file is completely clean.

I also believe you can extract depth maps, using DMAG.
(Within StereoPhotoMaker.).
However, as I haven’t got around to doing this yet, without any experience, I’m not the right person to give advice on this particular workflow.

2 Likes

Ok, I hope that @Nima will have some suggestion.

By the way, if you are looking to generate depth maps from the SBS. Images captured with your HYDROGEN, I have just completed the guide located [Here].

A depth map has been successfully generated.
You can also export to “.mpo”, and a variety of different formats.

(It’s going to be so awesome to be able to edit just one image, then use the depth map to convert it back into SBS.
Don’t know if it will work out perfectly, but I’m going to see if I can give it a go.
It’s just a very awkward Image, where the background and subject can’t be identified by the AI. so well.
It may take a while.).

Once I have the SBS, it’s fine (I can generate depth my SPM). The problem is how to get SBS from pictures edited by Leiaplayer (so saved as a single JPG with embedded metadata): before realizing that the SBS where only available on the original pictures, I have deleted original SBS and kept the edited one, sure that it was then possible to recover SBS to convert in MPO and watch it my previous 3D devices. Not to mention that some picture can be really improved in Leiaplayer (cropping, editing saturation, focus etc), and it would be great to have the improved version in SBS

2 Likes

Agreed.
At the moment, I mostly use an application on my PC. to edit images.
Leia Player is amazing, and quite a powerful tool for the casual user, but for those of us who want a little bit more, (and have the time,) there are better tools out there.

I’m looking forward to seeing what the Lume Pad brings.
There are a couple of features I’ve read about, (on the website,) which look very promising.
:smile:.

Argh! I have just successfully finished converting the SD card to a “removable” memory but…I’m facing a new unexpected limit of LeiaPlayer: basically if something is on the SD (not installed as internal memory) it cannot be edited, not even selected or deleted or moved! I have to go to some file manager, moved it to internal and only then I can edit it… :thinking: If I knew that I would have probably considered my decision…

That what I did, i have leia player and Red Player both on my phone next each other.
And i use most of the time Red Player for the SBS functions editing, and being visible with h4v format there is in gallery view.

RED Player is no longer on my phone; where I could download it again? Is there any issue in having RED Player and LeiaPlayer in the same Hydrogen?

Issue?
As Leia removed good stuff from red player,
I cannot work with crappy leia player and i have for months Red Player next to Leiaplayer.
There is no issue running then on the same phone.
Download? There is a link here somewhere on the forum.

Why?
Leia removed good stuff from red player like

Format icons in gallery view (pro quad h4v)
Ability to choose to overwrite or copy when saving
Ability to choose save as quad pro or h4v or gif.
slider when editing with values, and easy to slide
More for show then function
Doesn’t play sbs video’s like it should
Still not able to edit picture on sd card

I am running them for a while now both of them, no issues here
https://install.appcenter.ms/orgs/leia-inc/apps/red-player/distribution_groups/all-users-of-red-player
But you 'eed to modify Red Player to be able to sideload it next to Leiaplayer, google will give you how to do that to modify the Apk

1 Like