LeiaViewer not displaying normal and metallic

I am enjoying viewing my Sketchfab 3d models on LeiaViewer on Nubia Pad 3d but cannot get it to use the normal maps and metallic maps. These display correctly on Sketchfab but not when I view the same model in LeiaViewer. Knight - includes file for 3d printing - Download Free 3D model by Andy Woodhead (@Andywoodhead) [58fc98f] - Sketchfab This model is the best example of this. I wonder if it is to do with the naming convention for the normal and metallic maps? I paint my models in Substance Painter and upload to Sketchfab directly from that app - so use the default settings for naming of the different textures. Can anyone help with this please. Many thanks.

1 Like

I just tried a few models I purchased on Sketchfab and downloaded to the tablet as glTF. I got some of them to work okay, but many were displaying strangely and did not look like the preview on the website.

I am just wondering if this is the same problem I am getting. Does it look as if the lumps and bumps (surface details) are missing from the model when viewed on the 3d tablet and possibly the metal surfaces are not looking metallic? - if so it may also be the normal and metallic maps that are not being picked up with your models as well. Let’s hope the folks at Leia can find a solution!

1 Like

Correct. It appeared that normal mapping wasn’t working. Actually, the emissive texture was also not working, and transparency (hair) displayed strangely. It may be that only diffuse is supported. I did notice that the models that worked were more simple, though some of the ones I tried did look good, so I’m not sure.

1 Like

It can’t be that the display isn’t capable of handling those details, I’m guessing the leia viewer just hasn’t been developed enough to support compatibility with all that. You’d think it wouldn’t be too hard to do once someone starts working on it. And even if its not Leia, anyone should be able to come out with an app that allows seamless 3D model viewing on the tablet

1 Like

Yes, it has nothing to do with the display. It’s just that the viewer app doesn’t seem to have full compatibility in terms of rendering the full model / material formats supported on Sketchfab. I assume they use glTF, so I don’t think it would be that difficult to do (I just implemented glTF loading in my engine, but it’s not finished).

1 Like

Does anyone know how I can get a response from the people at Leia about my post at the top of this thread? I attached a link to a file on Sketchfab and was hoping to get some feedback on why the normal and metallic maps are not working. At the moment I am not able to get a good view of my Sketchfab models on the 3d pad because the normal and metallic maps are not working. Being able to view my models was the main reason I bought the tablet. It would be good to get a response from Leia on this please!

Hey Andrew,

When you posted it, I sent it over to the LeiaViewer Team. They’re working on various requests from various creators. Though 3D meshes and textures work, I don’t know that there’s ever been explicit support for various map types. Obviously, I agree at least normal maps should work as they’re so standard. But your request has been heard, and if we update LeiaViewer it’ll be posted in the Forums and auto-update on Lume Pad 2 devices.

2 Likes

That’s great. Thank you for the update.

2 Likes