Q: LumePad display quality

I’m wondering if my LumePad is a lemon, or others experience similarly low display quality.

I preordered this tablet and received it in November (last year), but haven’t had a time to update the firmware until now. Seeing how the camera did not work with the shipping firmware, but got fixed in the very first update (dated before I had received the device, but not applied in the factory), I was hoping that display quality may also be a firmware issue, but now that the unit is fully updated, I can tell that’s not the case.

As noted elsewhere, I can literally count the pixels in the Leia logo during (the old) boot-up animation.

I figured I’d ask around here if this appears to be normal, before I start bugging Leia Inc

I also took a few screenshots of my lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers. I see jagged lines all over the place, no matter if it’s horizontal or vertical, 2D or 4V (albeit the 4V appears a little bit more palatable).

Note the the above wallpaper images are all screenshots, since the focus here is the quality of the displayed image.

Do these look normal or could my unit simply happen to be defective?

That old Leia logo looks rough. I think you might need to reach out to support I don’t think it’s a firmware issue, I am thinking defective. I would suggest applying all updates first just to be sure (this will give you a different Leia logo too). I don’t know how to tag in support to this chat - in the hydrogen chat of days yonder you just @support to bring them in.

1 Like

For Hardware Support, my first port of call, would be to reach out to [help@leiainc.com].

Hope this helps.

It doesn’t. I know how to contact support.
I was looking for input from other people,
who have this model to see if my unit seems
strange or normal. No point to contact Leia
if the unit works as expected.

Yet, in spite of meeting the criteria, you shun my attempts to help you, and others.
(To the best of my ability.).
Good luck.

I concur that the information you posted may help others,
who don’t already know how to contact Leia’s support.

As for any relevant input regarding my inquiry, I must have
missed that, unless -of course- you mean that the clause
“For Hardware Support” should indirectly imply that you
also think that my unit may, in fact, be defective.

@Lumi The jagged background is a picture issue, not a display issue.
The pictures you’ve chosen for the background are the preinstalled 4V sample pictures. These 4V pictures work well when viewed in 4V (LeiaPlayer) but not so much when viewed as 2D because their 2D resolution is only 640 × 360 pixel with Hydrogen One aspect ratio. Scaled up to 2560 × 1600 pixel for the background, it explains the jagged non-anti-aliased edges. That said, this isn’t a limit of the 4V picture format per se because the resolution can be much higher for this file type, only the sample photos have such a low resolution. At least, this leaves a bit or bytes more disk space for our own photos.

1 Like

They do work better in 4V than 2D, but I wouldn’t go as far as claiming that they work well.

The last screenshot I posted was, in fact, from LeiaPlayer in 4V mode.

BTW, you’re certainly right about the resolution, and I’ll admit that I haven’t really thought of that.

On the other hand, I’m seeing similar results even with pictures taken with the built-in camera.

All 3 pictures were taken on a Hydrogen in 2D mode, held at about 10-15cm from the LumePad.

It’s taken me a while to figure out where the misunderstanding was, and all I can guess is: I have misunderstood the issue, and have therefore wasted your time, as well as failing in my goal to be helpful.

If this is the case, I sincerely appologise.
My goal, as always, was only to help.

I saw Luke suggesting that you contact support:

So genuinely thought I was being helpful.
Once again, my appologies.

1 Like

Alright; so, the verdict has arrived.
Leia says that this awful display quality
should be considered normal.

Joseph Duddy, Jan 13, 2021, 12:07 PM PST

Hi András!

Thank you for contacting Leia Inc. Customer Support.

After reviewing your feedback and images, we do not find your tablet to be defective. We believe your concern around the resolution may be related to the quality of the images used, as mentioned in the forum thread, and the overall proximity of the subject captured. Mainly, as the sample photos provided seem to have been taken approximately six inches or less from the screen.

While we are continuing to make improvements with the camera, we would recommend utilizing the device at arms distance and selecting assets that are available in the highest 2D or 4V resolution, for optimal and more enjoyable results.

Have a great day, and please feel free to get back in touch at any time if you have any other questions or concerns.

Warm Regards,

JD
Leia Inc. Customer Support

You have been warned…

I have finally had the time to start working with my new LumePad, and I like it. But I think to understand the concerns expressed in this thread: basically to have 4V, a single view will have reduced resolution to 1/4 in x and 1/4 in y; hence the initial full resolution of 2560X1600 becomes 640x400. It must be reminded that we have two eyes and the brain integrates two views, so the perceived resolution for 3D stuff is closer to a good 1280x800, but flat things like 2D characters or icons may look not exciting. This effect is also not nice with tilted straight edges of objects so far to be part of flat objects, while is is almost absent when looking at pictures of nature, trees, faces etc.
If I were a developer, I would probably try to avoid anything 2D even in the console to mitigate this impression. In 2D the power of full resolution is there, but still a close look in a white image makes visible the grid needed for the 3D effect; this is something that I have seen complaining of in some reviews of RED Hydrogen one, but (maybe because of my presbiopy :slight_smile: ) I was unable to see it in H1 -increasing the impression that many H1 reviews were unfair-. At the size of H1, 640x480 is still very good, while at the size of the LumePad I think that this limit can disappoint some users. While I think that LumePad is impressive, especially for my science-oriented applications, after using it I feel more how wrong is leaving die the H1 project (that I love more than before), since at mobile phone level still there is more room for…wow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spot on! I have 4 H1 ones, and cannot see this effect on any one of them.

BUT, then again, my eyes are not what they used to be.

Still, I can clearly notice the same on the LumePad, and I find that disturbing.

By the way, I’m using in particular Leia Viewer and I find it simply amazing. I have also tested some example for education (at the end it is part of my work) and I like the work Leia is doing to populate the 3D world with real 3D contents.
With current resolutions of displays I guess the limits we discussed are the price to pay for 4V on a big screen, but for me pros are still largely in favor with respect to cons. If I put Lume pad at “screen” distance, near my laptop, those defects are almost invisible.

2 Likes

I think those dots you’re seeing are the DLB layers that go over the screen that you only see up close. And any time you take a photo of a screen or device that close with an external camera the pixels will pop out more on top of that.

1 Like