Stereoviews

I’d like to convert a large collection of 19th century stereoviews to something that Leia or the Lume Pad could display in 3D but don’t know the requirements for getting those photos into the _2x1 format needed. I’m sure it’s not as simple as renaming them. Can someone help? Those old photos have very slightly different sizes and aspect ratios, and if I cropped the two pictures out of each stereoview the edges might not be perfectly aligned.

2 Likes

Use the Leia program to convert to 3d video.
You can download it on Leia website under tools

Michael, start with just adding the “_2x1” & see what happens. This isn’t a specific format; it tells LeiaPlayer that this is a stereo image.
You should get best results when the image is even: the two views are centered in their side, not rotated, with equal borders.
Let us know how it turns out - i’ve really enjoyed viewing old stereographs in 3D!

I’d agree with @lichen’s suggestion of adding “_2x1” and seeing how it looks.

If it doesn’t look good, the alignment is probably the issue. I just wrote some scripts to automate this (unfortunately no GUI at this point, but if you’re comfortable with a command line this should work out of the box): GitHub - LeiaInc/LeiaQuilt: Utility for aligning images into a 2x1 or 2x2

This is the technique I used to make the following image from an old stereogram:

4 Likes

If you’re looking for something more user-friendly, I believe StereoPhotomaker will be worth a shot.

5 Likes

Have you had any luck yet? I also have a significant collection to convert. I used SPM for my first one that I posted, a St. Augustine, FL street scene. Perhaps we should communicate off line to refine the technique.