Playing 3D SBS mkv on Lume Pad 2

Hi. I copied over a half-SBS 3D mkv to the internal storage, using a 3rd-party app. I can see the file, and it wants to play, but just sits there black. It’s in the same folder with the sample media, and the app has added the proper extension to it. Anything else to do?

And are we still limited to FAT32 for microSD cards? I have a couple of those, and would like to use them to store these.

Is there really no way to play over a network? What year is this? I’d ultimately like to run Plex, and then just be able to switch to 3D mode, while playing an SBS file. Seems like it shouldn’t be THAT hard…

Also I noticed all the sample movie media is not at the correct aspect ratio. It’s all a bit vertically squeezed. Maybe this was done to fill the screen vertically, but I am sensitive to proper aspect ratios, and maybe it’s a setting somewhere? Thanks!

2 Likes

Are you attempting to play it in LeiaPlayer? Though MKV is a supported format, it’s a container format, meaning the file inside the container can be of various different codecs. Not all video and audio codecs are supported, but the most popular ones are. You can easily use Handbrake on a Mac or PC to convert the file to a supported format.

The Lume Pad 2 can format MicroSD cards to a format most optimized for it if you plug it in. However, it can read from more than just the FAT32 format, though it can’t write to every format it can read from.

There are various ways to play video files over a network in various apps across Android. However, Leia’s 3D apps don’t support this feature currently. For the original Lume Pad, @jakedowns made a network playback application called MPV-Player for the platform. This may come to Lume Pad 2 in the future.

It wouldn’t be hard at all! Ask the developer of the Plex app you use to integrate the Leia SDK and it will work with very minimal work on their part.

The stretch was baked into those file for that exact reason. I agree with you, but those who made the choice were sure no one would notice :stuck_out_tongue:

These are in what I would consider a standard format, this is form MediaInfo:

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

I would think these should playback without re-encoding.

Now those who made the choice to stretch the videos were 100% wrong. Not sure who you think your target market is :wink:

So for the format of microSD cards on the pad itself, does that support files larger than 4GB?

I will submit a request to Plex, but I am afraid that might be a bit of a black hole…

SO for Plex, it turns out one can use an external player, such as MPV 3D. So if that player functioned correctly on the Lume Pad 2, then it would work as desired, no help from Plex necessary.

1 Like

Also could be as simple as just toggling the backlight mode, but this is gone now. Is there a replacement?

https://docs.leialoft.com/developer/webgl-sdk/leia-webgl-sdk

I have sent @jakedowns a small donation, in hopes he can just add the hooks for the new pad. I am trying to understand how it happens, and could potential build a new version, just not sure what it needs to work.

1 Like

I’m a developer and I’m looking at apps to make for the Lume Pad. Currently I’m focusing on 3D gaming, but the same technology I build could be used for a video player potentially. I’ll look into it.

1 Like

thanks so much steve, i had quite a busy week but i may have some time this weekend to buckle down and get back into this. i appreciate the support :raised_hands:

1 Like

I’ll be back in front of the tablet on Monday. It would be super cool to have something to test.

what are recommended settings and formats to use in handbrake ?

1 Like

For maximum compatibility with all devices (including Lume Pad 2), we recommend MP4 with an h.264 video codec and AAC audio codec. You can experiment with pushing it up to h.265 and other codec finagling if you want, but I personally use the above standard and it works great for my content.

1 Like

for anyone following along, LP2 support has been added to my fork of MPV3D Here:

gonna work on getting it submitted to the Leia App Store asap

special thanks to @steve321 for his sponsorship of this work

2 Likes

For creating content, I have had good results using MakeMKV, to create a MKV. You need to be sure to select the “other eye” video data, that is not selected by default. Once that is created, you use BD3D2MK3D to create the actual HSBS file. One might be able to to directly from a 3D BD with this application, but haven’t tried that yet.

3 Likes

So I use Plex, and in order to watch SBS 3d videos in plex, I need to do the following, correct?

1: Install Jakedown’s MPV 3d player on my Leia. You can download Leia MVP player here.

2: Install Plex. You can find it on the google store.

3: In plex, change the settings so you use an “external player” Do this by
a) press the Hamburger button
b) Press the “cog” button
c) Click “Advanced”
d) click “Player”
e) check the “Use external player” setting.

1. Now try playing any 3d movie you have on Plex. 3d movies now work.

Caveat, it seems like non-3d movies do not work on the 3d MPV player. Even if I click 3d off in the settings, it still only shows the left half. My suggestion is to install another movie player, and then, depending on what sort of movie you watch, you can choose the 3d player or regular player.

question: I thought that this tablet could convert 2d movies to 3d movies. Is there a way to do this via Plex? Or am I mistaken about converting 2d full-length movies?

1 Like

First post here, and I have only had my Lume Pad 2 for a few days. I have been excited to dive in and learn more because there is a learning curve to many things. Especially if you have 3d SBS movie files, you want to play rather than rent everything. The first issue I have had is how I formatted a 1TB Micro SDXC card from my PC was not recognized on the tablet. So it had me format from there. Now the way it is formatted on the tablet does not support me copying large files from the PC.

But the other issue I had was solved here with @jakedowns media player. I couldn’t get the Leia Player to play both Full and Half SBS files and show me the single image. And then, once I landed here, @kia got me thinking about using Plex, which would solve my current memory card problem.

But when I went to the Play store to grab Plex, some recent reviews talked about how buggy the app has been, and someone mentioned Jellyfin, which I hadn’t heard of before. I am officially off and running with Jellyfin working great with MPV 3d player. I was able to set it up without paying any monthly fee or subscription. Thank you all that contributed to this thread. Jake, I sent you a little thank you in Paypal. I tried to do FNF, but it wouldn’t let me. But that explains the “friends helping friends” comment.

Thank you to Leia team for doing what you can to keep 3d alive!!!

2 Likes

Hey Jeremy! It should generally be automatic as LeiaPlayer has built-in auto-detection to identify Half-Width and Full-Width SBS video.

If it doesn’t work though, you can just rename the file and it should work instantly!

Full-Width: filename_2x1.mp4

Half-Width: filename_half_2x1.mp4

1 Like

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. This other player is solving my needs but I for sure will be tinkering with all of the other Leia apps. I would love to figure out getting the SD card formatted in way that it can accept large files and still be compatible with the tablet.

I just read that the first Lume Pad did not accept Exfat or NTFS formatted cards so sounds like that is still true. That would be unfortunate if were the case.

AndroidOS does not support ExFAT or NTFS. However, we heard the feedback from users, and the LumeUI update that is currently rolling out includes the MyOS File Manager from ZTE which will read/write ExFAT. However, it won’t add ExFAT support to other Android applications. It will, however, if you choose, let you store movies larger than 4GB on your MicroSD card and transfer them back and forth with your Lume Pad 2’s internal storage so you can play them in LeiaPlayer.

You may also be able to use the NOVA Video Player MicroSD card workaround shared by @eazyedd2 but that hasn’t been tested with ExFAT.

1 Like